Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thats the one.
    Shuggie

its got vagina written across the freaking bonnet....jesus
    Dax Tojeiro - Mike Huddart 383ci stroker, dark blue with wimbledon white stripes, retro racing decals.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jarrett View Post
    its got vagina written across the freaking bonnet....jesus
    I work with a fella whose initials are "VAG" - where he's from that means nothing but it's a ruddy good job he didn't go to school in this country, that's for sure! He could pick up a private plate very cheaply for some reason, can't think why...
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Is that not just a polite name for most Cobra owners LOL

Shuggie

Looking to extend budget to £20K now.

Quite like the looks of some of the Chevrolet Corvettes, Stingrays, Cobras (obviously), Some of the TVRs (Tuscans, cebera), Porsche 914 is quite unusual and I think could be a good investment, Ferrari 250 GTO replica, Ronart WC152 (is AMAZING, but I dont think I will get one for this price), Porsche 550 Rep, Porsche 718K Replica (but hard as hell to find good quality ones, viewed a nicelooking one at 20K -but it had literally no dash or speedo(?), Alpine Sunbeam/Tigers are quite nice, Tiger Avon kit car (220bhp bike powered caterham like kit car).

Quite a few options on the table - just hard pinpointing something exactly.

The Silver Ram Cobra on this site that is up for sale is nice, but unfortunately out of budget atm.

Hi black mamba

It seems to me, by your posts, that you are really undecided about what you want to buy yet. Whilst most on this site are aware that I am no mechanic!...I have been in a similar situation to you, as to my intended purchase.

I started years ago with an Elise, then I got an Exige, before buying a Merc and then.....(with lots of research) I bought a 2003 996 turbo in 2014.

I tossed and turned about buying the Porsche, I always really wanted a TVR (very different, V8 etc etc) but I was worried about reliability. What was also important to me at the time, was that I hoped to have perhaps some kind of return, in addition to (at that stage in my life) needing a daily driver.......so in the end I bought the Turbo!

The 996 TT was a nice car, never went wrong, turned a few heads, started every day. When booted the 996 TT it went off like a scalded cat, and I reckon that any Porsche turbo would thrash a Cobra IMO, but as we know, its not just about pure speed. The Metzger engine (fitted to the 996 TT) which was found in the GT1 racecar and with none of the weaknesses associated with the 996 Carrera engine was pretty much bulletproof. My 996TT was a great car to drive.

After a while however, the Porsche felt quite boring and sterile, it was super quick but it just wasn't giving me what I wanted out of a car. For me, I was back into the TVR versus Cobra debate, I wanted a soft top and I wanted a big V8.

With the 993 air cooled Porsches being the last of the proper 'turbos' and prices getting out of reach of most people, 996 prices started to rise. I decided to sell, and I made good money. I bought the 996 TT in 2014 for £28,000 (it was a 2003 with 30k on the clock). I sold it in May 2016 with 40k on the clock for £42,000 give or take a few quid. That's 14k in 18 months, which is much better than money in the bank. I was then thinking about taking the plunge with either a TVR or an AC.
    In then end, I bought TSU 427, a Dax. I rushed the purchase a bit, and fell foul of a car that needed work. It still needs a little work, but its almost as I want it to be.

I am happy with what I bought, and I have not looked back, in the future, I might consider a 5ltr Griff or a Cerb as a change but one with with a strong engine or a rebuild. They cant be any more reliable that a Cobra I think, with a much growl to boot....!!!!

You have mentioned a lot of car choices black mamba, and I wonder if you need to narrow your focus down a lot? There are so many choices within this, such as replica or non replica, you mention bike powered kit cars, sunbeams, and Stingrays! All are completely different! I am not sure you are there yet with what you want. Have you considered an s type TVR or an older wedge, that has been well looked after and will hold value. I would always consider a Chimaera if its been well looked after and the engine was good. This is in your budget.

As a final thought, as for your 20k budget I would keep AT LEAST 5k spare, for what might be some repairs in the short run, when things going wrong. Better to have some cash spare for repairs, than max out on a car, than have a 20k motor sitting in the garage, and no money to fix it. Happened to me last summer, and its an awful feeling. Listen to the experienced guys on here (which I am not) and don't rush into a poor purchase.

Paul.
    Dax Tojeiro - Mike Huddart 383ci stroker, dark blue with wimbledon white stripes, retro racing decals.

Hi
    As paul states above there are some great pre classic cars that are tons of fun and will hold value or increase.
    My self I was a modifier and had my more sensible daily driver, choice is predone or project vs production vehicle.

if I was you (25) with 20 k i'd do MX5 and drop an LS1 or 3 in, can do yourself or get a custom builder to do, loads of forums in states to help, or even honda s2000 if you can get one.

Regards mark

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jarrett View Post
    Hi black mamba

It seems to me, by your posts, that you are really undecided about what you want to buy yet. Whilst most on this site are aware that I am no mechanic!...I have been in a similar situation to you, as to my intended purchase.

I started years ago with an Elise, then I got an Exige, before buying a Merc and then.....(with lots of research) I bought a 2003 996 turbo in 2014.

I tossed and turned about buying the Porsche, I always really wanted a TVR (very different, V8 etc etc) but I was worried about reliability. What was also important to me at the time, was that I hoped to have perhaps some kind of return, in addition to (at that stage in my life) needing a daily driver.......so in the end I bought the Turbo!

The 996 TT was a nice car, never went wrong, turned a few heads, started every day. When booted the 996 TT it went off like a scalded cat, and I reckon that any Porsche turbo would thrash a Cobra IMO, but as we know, its not just about pure speed. The Metzger engine (fitted to the 996 TT) which was found in the GT1 racecar and with none of the weaknesses associated with the 996 Carrera engine was pretty much bulletproof. My 996TT was a great car to drive.

After a while however, the Porsche felt quite boring and sterile, it was super quick but it just wasn't giving me what I wanted out of a car. For me, I was back into the TVR versus Cobra debate, I wanted a soft top and I wanted a big V8.

With the 993 air cooled Porsches being the last of the proper 'turbos' and prices getting out of reach of most people, 996 prices started to rise. I decided to sell, and I made good money. I bought the 996 TT in 2014 for £28,000 (it was a 2003 with 30k on the clock). I sold it in May 2016 with 40k on the clock for £42,000 give or take a few quid. That's 14k in 18 months, which is much better than money in the bank. I was then thinking about taking the plunge with either a TVR or an AC.
    In then end, I bought TSU 427, a Dax. I rushed the purchase a bit, and fell foul of a car that needed work. It still needs a little work, but its almost as I want it to be.

I am happy with what I bought, and I have not looked back, in the future, I might consider a 5ltr Griff or a Cerb as a change but one with with a strong engine or a rebuild. They cant be any more reliable that a Cobra I think, with a much growl to boot....!!!!

You have mentioned a lot of car choices black mamba, and I wonder if you need to narrow your focus down a lot? There are so many choices within this, such as replica or non replica, you mention bike powered kit cars, sunbeams, and Stingrays! All are completely different! I am not sure you are there yet with what you want. Have you considered an s type TVR or an older wedge, that has been well looked after and will hold value. I would always consider a Chimaera if its been well looked after and the engine was good. This is in your budget.

As a final thought, as for your 20k budget I would keep AT LEAST 5k spare, for what might be some repairs in the short run, when things going wrong. Better to have some cash spare for repairs, than max out on a car, than have a 20k motor sitting in the garage, and no money to fix it. Happened to me last summer, and its an awful feeling. Listen to the experienced guys on here (which I am not) and don't rush into a poor purchase.

Paul.
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the in depth reply and thanks for including the figures. That's really appreciated.

Yes, hugely undecided about what I want. Well to be honest - Cobra is definitely my first choice, but I really cant justify at this stage dropping £25-30K on one. £20k at a push, yes.

The 996 turbo is a really nice looking car, especially in silver - but I know what you mean about it. Still - you got a ridiculously good ROI on that! Well done! I know that buying a Cobra would never see returns like that - at least not as quickly as that.

I toyed with the idea about 4-5 years ago of buying a 993 Turbo. There was a cracking one for sale black, with full Porsche history/stamps for £16-18K. I just looked them up now and some of them are £95K! :O

I probably wont be looking at the bike powered cars, but they were just on my mind due to the fact that they are much cheaper. There are a lot of very nice replicas that i like the looks of, such as the 550/718 RSK, Ferrari 330 P4, Ferrari 250 GTO, Asoton Martin DBR1, GT40, Cobras etc. But realistically for the price I am looking at the only realistic ones are 550/718s, 250 GTO and Cobra.
    Non replica - I'd be looking at probably TVRs.

I dont really want to be buying a sporty little car as an investment - although it would be awesome if it shoots up in value, as it could open up doors for more exciting things later on.

I will have spare money left over. I am in the final stages now of selling my boat (40ft sailing boat) which will free up some more capital. At the end of April I would probably have about £50K or so in the bank. I have already paid off a lot on my mortgage (around 60% remaining). Regardless of the car purchase, I will still be able to make the maximum overpayment (10% of remaining mortgage) per year including repayments monthly.

I toyed with the idea of using the money to buy a 2 bed flat or town house and renting it out, but its definitely not as fun, lots of tax to take into account, stress/hassle, have to deal with solicitors and I generally cant be bothered.

I dont want to buy a car that I am going to get bored of after 12-18 months, which I definitely dont think will be the case with a Cobra.

Very undecided on things at the moment. Lots of options for me to explore - which is a good position to be in I suppose.

Getting her ready for the East Anglia Cobra meet today in Cavendish

First proper ride out since October !

And if I was forced to sell the Cobra, I would buy a TVR t350 (T) targa top.

Not many targa tops around now, and prices will definitely not drop IMO.

Check out how many left

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=...&commit=Search

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast