Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

First Cobra Wanted (for a 25 year old!)

Looking to buy my first cobra, but it seems that all the adverts are run by dealers who are obviously making a nice markup on all the listing prices (fair enough..)

Desired Specification
    Dax or Gardner Douglas
    Colour; black, silver, red or blue
    Engine: V8 Chevvy or Ford
    Exhaust: Side pipes
    Nice interior is a big plus

My budget is around £15-17.5K

I am based in Kent.

Many thanks,
    Alex

Hi Alex

Welcome to the place

You're going to need to either tweak your budget or your spec. The car you describe is around £28-35k these days in nice condition, even as a private sale. If you hunt around then a Rover v8 Sumo is achievable for the higher end of your budget though and make a very nice car.

Worth checking insurance as well before you buy one?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Hi Alex

Welcome to the place

You're going to need to either tweak your budget or your spec. The car you describe is around £28-35k these days in nice condition, even as a private sale. If you hunt around then a Rover v8 Sumo is achievable for the higher end of your budget though and make a very nice car.

Worth checking insurance as well before you buy one?
    Thanks for the reply lloyd.

Ive seen a couple of GDs over the last 18 months actually sell (not list price) for around £16-19K - but as you can imagine, they sell quickly!

Trouble is, when I get to 28-35K territory, I would rather spend an extra 15-20K and get a GT40 replica I think, or a Ferrari 330 P4 replica.

Shame how the classic car market is climbing so quickly/highly. Makes it hard for young guys to get onto the market, unless of course I start looking at subeam Alpines, Triumph Stags, MGs etc..

Classic car insurance put a V8 ac cobra worth £25K at £160 per year for me - which is good!

I have to agree with Lloyd, unless you're looking for something that needs a few jobs doing, you'll struggle for that spec against that budget.

Of course, if you can get your budget into the 40k's I know of a cracking 16 plate LS3 powered AK you could have.......
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

If you can pick up a GD for under £20k with a yank V8 then you've done very well. Next one you see tear their arm off if nothing is wrong with it!

best of luck with the search, post some pics up when you get one bought.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

GD's selling for 16-19k with a yank V8 I think is very unlikely unless they needed a lot of work,16-19k is Sumo territory with a Rover V8. I am not saying they never exist but that would be rare or you'll end up spending a lot on them. As for the insurance I think that price is also unlikely unless you had it on 1k mileage a year perhaps. The market currently seems suggest that you will be very lucky to find a GD or DAX under 20K and with a Yank V8 +25K is more likely. For a good GT40 kit with the right V8 you'll need +60K, again unless you don't want a V8 fitted or something you have to strip and rebuild.

Welcome to the forum... if you are bargain hunting, be very careful that what you buy is correctly registered... sometimes they are cheap for a reason...

Alex

Id like to know what insurance co is offering that price, I'm paying £330 with Aplan and I'm 46 yrs with no accidents or convictions and a few years of no claims On a 4.0 v8 Dax worth £25k ish restricted to 4000 miles.
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

Hi and welcome . Any car in your budget needs to be looked at under a microscope, if in fact you will ever find one . 25K would be a steal for the car you describe . Also your insurance seems way off . I live in a favourable post code , have driven for 30yrs with no claims and hold an Police advanced driving certificate and my premium is not near your quote . Sorry to be a bit dire but would rather ' do the hard yards ' and give you honest advice . Good luck all the same

Your cheap insurance quote might be because the Cobra you was after is registered as a Jag and that is what the quote was for. A old Jag.

Good luck.

Andy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast