Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Sump Guard

AK Sump Guard

Morning All - heated seats all fitted and working now so thanks to those who helped on that one. On to the next job - I have only driven my car half a dozen times but have already sustained some pretty serious damage to the sump - no holes but it is pretty bashed up. The lanes round here are just awful and in places have subsided for 30-50 yards meaning it is almost like you are driving in ruts bringing the centre of the car much lower - can be avoided unless there is something coming the other way - well, that's my excuse anyway!

The car is riding pretty high so not sure I can raise things by much so thinking about a sump guard. I have researched on here and other places alot and I know this will make things even lower and that I will need to leave room for the engine to move in use but even so I think that I prefer the idea of a guard taking any future pain. Sorry to ask something others have asked before but I have looked and looked but cannot find any photos or drawings that I can open so please does anyone have a photo, drawing or even an explanation of what they have done before I start trying to fashion something up? It seems from reading up that continuing the guard back under the bell housing and also putting an angle on the back end as well as the front might also be a good idea.

I have a Ford 351 with Tremec gearbox (and underslung exhausts - I dont mind if they take the occasional knock, but I dont want to be dumping 5 litres of engine oil on the road .....)

Final question - is there a shallower sump pan I can fit to the 351?

Thanks in advance!

The lanes round my area are so bad, even my pick up truck takes an awful pounding !

Its my bell housing that takes the hits ,seems to miss the sump. I have now learned to stay off the country single lanes .
    Apart from the millions of pot holes , the problem is where either side of the lane has subsided and left the centre higher .
    Making the engine ,gearbox,bonnet scoop sit higher an inch would make all the difference ,but i guess would lead to all sorts of other problems.

But dont worry ,if we ever do leave the EU , we will have "loads of money" to spend on our own roads instead of everyone else s.!!
    AK - Gen 1 - Chevy 350 - 5.7

My AK had a ridiculous 65 mm ground clearance under my sump guard and yes it grounded.

I have now ditched the original tyres in favour of a taller side wall together with small suspension height adjustment which gives me a clear 95mm clearance under the sump guard. The tyres are 225 60 16 front and 255 60 16 rear.

I made the sump guard out of 5mm S/S angle for a frame and 6mm ally for the skid. When I get a chance I will try and get a few pictures for you.

Barry
    AK ordered 20/05/2009. Delivery 29/01/2010. Ford Big block FE. IVA passed 05/04/2016. Registered 23/04/2016.

Thanks Guys,

Sadly it was the road to my house where I did the damage so I cant avoid it, but at least I know the horror spots now. I am running 245/60 & 215/60 on 15 inch rims (chrome wires) at present and the suspension is pretty jacked up already - I have about 100mm to the bottom of the sump, bell housing and exhausts ..........

I think you'll find 100mm is about the minimum to be reasonably safe, you just have to be careful on roads you know to be a problem, I have 100 mm below the exhaust on my Dax but more below sump and bell housing. You may find a shallower sump with a bit of research, but a sump with only 100 mm clearance would be better with a guard.

Thanks Mitch - I will aim to get a guard fabricated then (assuming no-one sells one off the shelf - which I doubt) - so any photos/drawings for me to use as a basis from people out there with one would be wonderful.

I would rather slide over things using a guard than the sump!

On my car had the same problem so in the end I jacked up the engine and gearbox as high as I could without them touching anything and packed out the mounts. Gained just over 1" which made all the difference.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by AKBaz View Post
    My AK had a ridiculous 65 mm ground clearance under my sump guard and yes it grounded.

I have now ditched the original tyres in favour of a taller side wall together with small suspension height adjustment which gives me a clear 95mm clearance under the sump guard. The tyres are 225 60 16 front and 255 60 16 rear.

I made the sump guard out of 5mm S/S angle for a frame and 6mm ally for the skid. When I get a chance I will try and get a few pictures for you.

Barry
    Hi Barry,

Sorry to hijack thread - can you tell me what tyres your ended up fitting in those sizes? I'm probably going to need some replacements for mine shortly (current ones have been on probably since cob was build in 2000 - currently has 255/50/ZR16 on rear and 225/50/ZR16 on front, but would like to fill arches a bit more as the SRV8 seems to have a large gap between top of tyres and arch.

cheers
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Gary, the fronts are Continentals and the rears are Avon CR27 Turbospeed. The Avons are not a cheap tyre but look and fit perfectly.

Some may not like mixing makes but I'm no racer and doubt very much i will notice any difference.

Barry

Cheers Barry - i was hoping it wasn't the CR27's due to the prices - lol, they are soddin expensive ain't they

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast