Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sumo for taller drivers

Hi guys,

I am sure his question has probably been asked many times before but I am now very close to ordering my sumo kit and I will be visiting Pilgrim later this month. I had hoped to try their demonstrator but they have informed me that it has been sold and therefore won't be available. Being just under 6ft 3in, I am a little concerned about being too tall, especially as I would like to finally get a removable hardtop. Pilgrim have said that they can lower the floor of the chassis by 2 inches but I don't think I will get the opportunity to try this out before I buy. I am hoping that others who are a similar size can advise on fit?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

James

I'm 6Ft2 and did 7000 miles in my old Sumo with a standard chassis with no issues, it was a big tricky to get into when the soft roof was on, but once in there was no issue.

Fitting the seats with no runners will give you another inch too so if you go for the lower chassis it should be fine I guess.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

The thing you need to know to tell if it will fit ok is also, are you long legged or long bodied. Dropping the floor is great if you are long bodied, but not so helpful if your long legged. Having said that can't really see any problems with you fitting in comfortably as you will build it so you do fit. There are quite a few tall Sumo owner's about. Good luck oh and welcome to the club.

James,

Good to know you are still "on track".

One point to consider is the type of seats you will be fitting. I went for the high backed seats, with the harnesses coming through slots in the back, partly to satisfy the IVA requirement for head restraints but also for aesthetic appearance.

Fitting the "period correct" seats, with the low back, will allow them to be moved further back in the cockpit than the high backed seats - see attached. This mean that you will have to fit head restraints for the IVA but these are available from a number of seat manufacturers.

Good look with the build - make sure you start a blog or post progress on the forum.

Regards,
    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Be warned, whether you are big or small, cobras require technique to get in and out of.
    The Pilgrim footwells are larger than some others, so you should be well accomodated there.
    The main thing is to try and sit in a completed car.
    Dropping the floor an inch might well be worth while, if needed.

I am a shade under 6', I didn't have any problems, although never fitted a soft top to my old car.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks for all the help. Pilgrim have said that there will be something for me to sit in and try but not sure about a completed car.

Looking forward to finally having the kit.

Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you. I am running a little behind on my original schedule as I had an unplanned boiler replacement setting me back £2000 in December. Just about getting there with the savings but hadn't factored all the things I would need to buy for the house to keep my wife onside.

Your comments regarding the seats are very useful as I was considering the Odyssey II as, like you, I like the look and they also satisfy IVA. I have seen period correct seats with head rests fitted to the roll bars.

I was looking at starting a website a couple of days ago as family members have been asking. If I do get something up and running then I will definitely let you have the info.

I am currently sorting out my garage to make space for the build, which is proving interesting. I decided that my workbench would work better on the other side of the garage but this has meant wiring new sockets at the new location. I have also just bought some new racking system to move all the bikes out of the way.

I saw your post on the hardtop, looks impressive. From what I could see the rear window is smaller and vertical rather than the hatchback style that Pilgrim and others go for. I have always been curious about any issues regarding the fuel filler being effectively inside the car whereas with yours this will keep it outside. How is the hardtop going?

Regards
    James

James, I am around 6'2" and around 17 Stone and have a mark 3, seats are right back not on runners in the traditional style and I have no problems in a Sumo. Getting in and out of course is a skill but once you know its no problem. My main concern was always 'sitting in' not 'sitting on' the car, with the right seats and no runners it's all good for me.

I must have missed the post about the hard top, would be interested in that if it is a shorter type.

I'm 6'2 and was once described as being built like a double wardrobe... I don't have the dropped floor and fit in ok.

You'll find the soft top is harder to get into than a hardtop but I fit in ok. If budget is tight you may wish to consider not getting a hardtop till yours is built and you've run it for a while with just a soft top, I love the look of a hardtop cobra but there are a few hardtop owners who don't use theirs much.

As others have said bucket seats will go back a bit further under the rear lip of the cockpit. I will probably bin the seat runners as an extra inch would be useful

Alex

I am 6' 3" and no stranger to a Fish Supper! I opted for the lower floor pan, which restricts your exhaust options, underslung will no longer work. It also tilts the seat backward slightly so the top/back edge prevents the seat going back as far as it could. However if you ask Interior Seating they can give you a more upright drivers seat to compensate. Also you may want to consider making your own/adapting the Pilgrim dash, I found my knees rubbed on the under side of the demonstraitor. Also if your arse is as fat as mine you can opt for a non-bucket seat (I can only get one cheek in the regular seat). With all of the above there is plenty of room.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast