Pedal box conversion to floor mounted wilwood/similar, doable?

Just wondering if anyone else has been down this road before..

I'd like to go for a floor mounted pedal box from OBP (much cheaper than tilton or wilwood!), and I'm trying to figure out how to accommodate the box section that sits at the lower edge of the footwell.. whether I should go for floor mount pedals where the cylinders are outside the footwell (they point forward) and sit the pedal box on the top face of that box, or bulkhead mount where the cylinders are inside the cockpit (under your heels) and put the pedal box back up against the box section..

I don't really want to buy both types in order to figure it out at £300 a pop! so wondered if anyone had already done it..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

If i have visualised correctly what you said would the cylinders be inside the exhaust pipes? Lee

Ah, you raise a good point sir! The stock master cylinder is half way up the footwell and probably above the exhaust isn't it, if it was lower down you might be right, it'd be awful close if nothing else..
    My DeDion build diary..

After much more googling over the weekend in-between fitting the brake lines and battery cable, I found someone who has done it before: https://bassetdownprojects.blogspot....st-update.html

Basically, he had to make a little 'hutch' extension out of the front of the footwell for the end of the master cylinders, but it looks like quite a neat solution. Exhaust pipes should go between it and the steering column I think.

By heck his footwell looks spacious compared to mine with all the chunks taken out of it for the big block, though!
    My DeDion build diary..

You can buy floor mounted pedal boxes with under mounted cylinders. This is what I am intending to do
    http://www.competitionsupplies.com/

Should have added look under tilton engineering section

Distance selling rules says you could actually buy both sets and return one... for the cost of the P&P

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    You can buy floor mounted pedal boxes with under mounted cylinders. This is what I am intending to do
    http://www.competitionsupplies.com/
    That was what I was trying to describe with my second option Well, I was looking at OBP rather than Tilton because the Tilton's are slightly eye watering in the price department!

Basically this:

Or this:

(They're ~£300 with master cylinders whereas the Tilton packages seem to be at least twice that - they're certainly nicer looking, FMA designed, cast etc but..

Anyhow, when I stuck my shoe down the end of the footwell (not on my foot as the body is currently hanging from the ceiling in the garage and I was climbing on top of the chassis on top of axle stands to reach it - totally safe, of course) I wasn't sure my foot would fit on top of the false floor required for the underfoot pedal box, without removing my toes. I could be wrong though, I really need to figure out where my feet will end up length wise.

For now I think I'll just run all the brake lines back to roughly the right area with enough there that I can route the hard lines to where they need to end once I've made the choice.

And Alex - OBP are only an hour away from me (and about 15 minutes from my parents house) so I could probably just as easily go there and talk to them and see about borrowing/swapping until I got the right one
    My DeDion build diary..

Thread resurrection:

So after much faffing around trying different things, I ended up swapping from the OBP Victory range to their "Kit car" range and getting one of these:

It's a work of art .. but still don't fit The mounting flange on the base makes it a hair too wide to go all the way down the tunnel and a hair too far to the left for the clutch pedal to clear the 'divet' in the footwell for the big block. Damn me and my choices!

Anyway.. the Dax pedal box is nice and comfortable when I try that, pleasant distance away from me, I can hook my foot under the clutch pedal when cruising etc so I don't end up with cramp, but it's not what I had "in mind" originally (which was a nice dual cylinder bias pedal box!).

I even made up a list of pro's & con's and I still can't decide which way to go - either way means going past the point of no return as I'll be hacking big chunks of stuff out to fit the OBP pedal box (end of the footwell, part of the little metal 'upright' on the chassis that the Dax pedal box bolts to) or drilling large holes for the Dax pedal box (master cylinder hole, clutch slot etc).

Code:
    Pedalbox
    Pro                                    | Con
    Separate front/rear master cylinders   | Requires major modification
    Adjustable brake bias                  | Might still not be comfortable when cruising
    Heel & toe is comfortable
    Engine bay can look "more original"

Dax pedal box
    Pro                                    | Con
    Fits right in there like it's made to  | Non-adjustable bias
    Works for everyone else                | Servo assisted brakes
    Requires no modifications              | Engine bay looks "less original"
    Comfortable cruising                   | Can't heel & toe*
    (*without snapping my knee or modifying the pedals, anyway)

Nope.. still don't know what to do.
    My DeDion build diary..

The front rear bias can be overcome with an adjustable valve (easy).
    Of course non adjustable or no valve for IVA purposes.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 in build will be for sale. (Maybe)