Brake flares - creating them, identifying them.. double check my work please, teacher

So I needed to (re)make some of the brake lines for the Dax, ahem, and I am having a crisis of confidence over a) which kind of flare I'm meant to be making and b) whether I even got it close to right.

It seems I have the option of single flare, double flare and 'mushroom' and the latter two look damn near identical to me in the pictures I find.. although looking at the Automec videos it looks like the Dax flares are double flares?

These two are pictures of the end that Dax made (I bought the brake line kit) - well, Automec, I suspect - click for bigger versions:

These are the two that Roger the Bodger (me) made:

I have this flaring tool, which I believe might be 'a bit pants' in reality:

So .. do the flares I made (which are double flares I believe - you first use the die to make a 'mushroom' then the cone to invert the end) look right to anyone here?

I will admit this is one job I've never done on a car - I'm trying to resist measuring the pipe, taking it to a motor factors and saying "Please help me" (come to think of it I do know someone who works for a garage locally.. but anyway, humour me )

Annoying thing is, the one in the picture is the exact right length and shape now, so sods law says I'll have to re-make the end after making it shorter!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

The flare you make with the die is the one you use when making flares using the male nuts. You can turn this flare using the cone device to make double flares, as you rightly said for using the female ends. I used a similar flaring tool for my build with no issues

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

I think you may be over thinking this if you'll forgive me! Your kit will work fine, its slower and harder work than a pro tool but it will create perfectly good flares with a little care. The ones in your pics look spot on.

Pipe end cut square, and critically the right level of protrusion when you clamp it and bobs your uncle. All you need do then is cut it off and redo it when you realise you forgot to put the union or is that just me
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    I think you may be over thinking this if you'll forgive me! Your kit will work fine, its slower and harder work than a pro tool but it will create perfectly good flares with a little care. The ones in your pics look spot on.

Pipe end cut square, and critically the right level of protrusion when you clamp it and bobs your uncle. All you need do then is cut it off and redo it when you realise you forgot to put the union or is that just me
    No not just you
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Not just you Lloyd and Tinka!

Aaron don't forget these are soft copper pipes.
    If they are not spot on they'll be adjusted to fit the shape of the nut male or female as you tighten them.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17

Thanks fellas - you're probably right and I'm over thinking it trying to form ends that look perfectly like the Automec ones (who, I assume, are using one of their swanky £700 tools to form the ends!). That said I, er, may have just bought one of the lower end Automec tools

Judging the amount of 'stick out' for the Sealey tool is very hit & miss for me and I think that's probably the biggest factor (and why the first one I made looked like a pancake ) and this will definitely solve that. If expensively.

Maybe I just like buying tools .. that's probably half the reason I started building a car in the first place, but don't tell my other half!

Oh and I'm sure I'll forget to put the nut on sooner or later - I usually manage that with heat shrink when making connectors up every damn time!
    My DeDion build diary..

Normally the amount of pipe that should stick out is the same as the thickness of the disc of the former you stick in the end of the pipe. That's why they vary in thickness.

When I modded my rear axle to use outboard brakes I had a pipe which went over the axle to feed the OS caliper all looked OK until we put a bit of pressure in then realised it was leaking due to poorly made ends, unfortunately I wasn't able to pressure test it until I put the body back on so had to re-rig this pipe from underneath (adding a new pipe) as didn't have time to re-remove the body due to working in a friend's dad's garage and not wanting to overstay my welcome.
    I think with brake flaring tools it's as much the quality of the operator as the tool which makes the difference

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Normally the amount of pipe that should stick out is the same as the thickness of the disc of the former you stick in the end of the pipe. That's why they vary in thickness.
    I didn't even notice that! The instructions just said something along the lines of "Have between 3/16 and 1/4" protruding depending on the pipe diameter" - I didn't connect those dots evidently..

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    When I modded my rear axle to use outboard brakes I had a pipe which went over the axle to feed the OS caliper all looked OK until we put a bit of pressure in then realised it was leaking due to poorly made ends, unfortunately I wasn't able to pressure test it until I put the body back on so had to re-rig this pipe from underneath (adding a new pipe) as didn't have time to re-remove the body due to working in a friend's dad's garage and not wanting to overstay my welcome.
    I think with brake flaring tools it's as much the quality of the operator as the tool which makes the difference
    See that's what I imagine when I put mine together! Fluid coming out like a fountain
    My DeDion build diary..