Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

1 less AK on the road

WARNING SOME UPSETTING CONTENT BELOW TO ALL COBRA LOVERS

Hi

Well after 2 months now i'm feeling up to it thought I'd let you guys know of an issue I had with my Beloved AK Cobra.
    The Saturday before Christmas beautiful blue sky day (bit nippy) thought i'd take the car out for its last run of the year. Daughter was booked for a test drive at the local Merc garage. So off we trundled me in the lead and my daughter and her boyfriend following.

Unfortunately om the way there a White van man coming from opposite direction decided to do a U turn 100yds in front of me in a 50mph (speed camera!) zone. God knows how he didnt see us. I had no where to go and no room to stop (Roads were also a bit greasy). I hit his passenger side doing approx 30-40mph. My daughters car with ABS managed to skid to a halt alongside my car thankfully...
    The Cobra immediately caught fire as I could see flames shooting from under the bonnet (fuel line ruptured onto exhaust ,manifolds is my guess). I realized quickly that my legs were stuck. Then found my left leg was impaled and right leg pinned by something. After a few frantic minutes of wriggling and struggling I somehow managed to free my legs and was dragged clear of the burning car by my daughters boyfriend and the van driver.
    So this my car after I had been pulled clear (White van I hit in front) As you can probably imagine pretty traumatic for all (I was being treated on side of road by air ambulance at this stage)...Note Van driver didn't have a scratch

This is what was left of my beloved AK...Think you could say a complete write off!!

I ended up with severe damage to both Knees (Right knee broken Patella and tendons torn from bone, Left Knee Broken Femur at knee joint and a 6" open wound (big enough to fit a fist in!) down to bone and tendon damage. Fortunately nothing else (A testament to the AK strength). I 'm now bed bound and am working my way back to be able to walk again, although this may take a few more months. However I'm just lucky to still be here.
    The car can be replaced and bones can heal...!
    Not quite sure what did my knees but thinking probably the steering column...

The Van driver is being prosecuted by the police for Dangerous driving and put on a driving awareness course etc.

Me, I'm on a very slow road to recovery and itching to get another Cobra and get back on the road.

What I can say is..GET AN AGREED VALUE on insurance. I thankfully did this with Adrian Flux (have done this with past 2 Kit/ Replica's)and must say I am very impressed by their service and had monies in my account within 2-3 weeks of the accident. Now just trying to get the personal injuries side sorted but guessing this may take quite some time.

Also want to say what a fantastic Health service we actually have in this country. Many people moan about it but I cant thank them enough..

Well here's hoping I get back on my feet soon and get enough movement in my knees to be able to drive a Cobra again as I dearly want to get another in the not too distant future and maybe catch up with a few of you at Stoneleigh or other shows

cheers
    Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get well soon Terry!

I much prefer the before pictures !
    Get well soon buddy

Terry,

What can you say other than Bloody Hell and very glad you got out when you did.
    Hope you get back to 100% fit and quick.

Simon

Get well soon and l am sure you will be driving again soon.

Ye gods! Thank goodness you managed to get out, there could have been a VERY different outcome!
    Get well soon
    Simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

Thankfully there was someone to help. Always look forward . All the best ,
    keep well .
    regards Adrian.

Beloved AK maybe, but the shocking part for me is your injuries. Hope you get well soon and it would be fantastic to meet you at Stoneleigh. Best wishes.
    Lee
    Chairman UKCC

DAX De Dion, 400 BHP 6.0 LS2, French Racing Blue
    GD427 mk3, 325BHP 5.0 RV8, Blue - SOLD

Bloody hell. Hope you get well soon. As you said these things can be replaced. Just so thankful you got out and can tell the tale.

Thankyou for sharing your pics and story.

Wow, very scary stuff good to hear you managed to get out. Fire has always been one of my biggest concerns with the cobras, especially with their fibreglass bodies. Has anyone ever fitted an engine bay fire extinguisher? A quick Google search found this:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produc...FbIW0wodfGcBuQ

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast