Car Fire Supression

Hi,

After reading the recent threads on car fires I have been looking in an extinguishing system to retrofit. Obviously there are many mechanical and electrical systems on the market but I have come across this one, which is automatic. The pipe is pressurised all the time and fitted to the engine bay - in event of a fire the pipe melts and automatically discharges the fire suppressant.

I like the system as it seems with the others you need to be conscious to actually activate the systems and also it seems easy to retrofit.

However I am interested in the combined greater knowledge on this forum and would welcome any views to talk me out of it or support it? Cost is £163+vat

https://stedall.co.uk/fire-suppression-system/

Thanks in advance
    Andrew

looks ok - my only question is the discharge temp of the red tubing - apparently 140C. I'd imagine temps near exhaust manifolds would be exceeding that easily, and possible under bonnet temps could be close to that also - not 100% sure, but does seem quite a low temp - thoughts.....

Red tube fire discharge point 140c

Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

I would look at an onboard extinguish as just buying time to stop and escape
    Not put the fire out and save the car 🤔
    I'd still carry a hand held too

Yep Agree - I love my Cobra but it can be re-built or replaced - driver and passenger's lives are the key. Good point on the discharge temperature - This red tube version is the high temp version - they do a blue tube one that discharges at a lower temp. I guess a temperature gauge set in various locations around the engine bay might be a good idea this weekend and some good hard driving to check what temperatures are reached. Obviously will need to be along way below 140C to allow for use in higher ambient temperatures.

A sunny day in Le Mans with a big block up front.....I reckon my feet were at more than 140deg!
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

The FireTrace system is another to look at.
    The owner is a classic American car guy.

I keep meaning to get one for my 'Vette.

Andy
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Agree completely with Pickmaster!

A plumbed-in system is only there to give the occupants an extra few seconds to get out. Back in my racing days my Ginetta had a 3 outlet system 1 pointing at each carb and the last one pointing at me from underneath the steering wheel.

Another safety device very few people think about is a harness cutter, the extinguisher will only give you a few seconds extra, those extra seconds can easily be taken away with an awkward harness and nervous hands!

Richie
    AK Gen II - Delivery May '15

another 'plus' for harness cutter.

btw when air bags deploy there is a huge amount of 'smoke'.
    Last edited by KevinW; 24-02-17 at 01:43 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.