Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emissions

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
    Surely if the car is registered as 2010 with a modern ls engine fitted at time of iva and registration it will be a cat test either way.

It can't fall back to the engine age as the engine is to modern to not require a cat test.

Now if a pre 93 iron block was retro fitted I could see that the mot bible rule would apply.

Maybe I don't understand and have missed something.
    Yup. You missed the "facts" as presented.
    We only have some of the details. You are probably correct with educated guessing, but without knowing for sure we can't have a lynch mob.
    ‚ÄčPro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

(Assuming) the the car was built and IVA'd with the same LS2 engine that it has now, then no doubt it should still need Cats to pass an MOT.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

In my dim and distant past I may have had a Ford Mondeo with the 2.5 litre V6 in it that suffered the dreaded catalytic converter break up.

Now being a firm advocate of expenditure reduction I removed said cat and relieved it of its broken up innards. Then refitted the empty box.

Success, with, to my ears, an improved exhaust note.

Some months later I took said car for its MOT and although close to the limits the car still passed the emissions test once it was well warmed up and revved like buggary.

Is it possible that the LS2 could be running clean enough so that it may not need cats?

Does the OP know someone or a garage that can do a cheap emissions test to ascertain if the car can pass the test without the cats?

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Morning everyone,
    Thanks for all your replies, and thanks Alex for your friends Number, I will contact him shortly.
    A few more bits of info for consideration:-
    Car still has the same engine as when IVAd that is an LS2 fuel injected from a 2006 GTO
    mapping by Speartech and it does have an OBD2 socket. (I am completely ignorant in this area of technology)
    I have checked the the V5 and there is no info entered on this regarding emission levels and I'm told that if this is the case then the regular requirements for the year of registration will apply.
    The original owner now lives in Spain so the original CATs would not be available.
    I purchase the car through a dealer who was selling it on behalf of his friend and after haggling obtained a considerable discount.
    I have on several occasions been in contact with the previous owner and have found him to be a helpful and honest and I do not think there has been a deliberate attempt to deceive, it's just that I am now left holding the baby so to speak.
    Hope the above info clears a few
    Regards,
    harrison

Harrison,

As you've mentioned Speartech then I'll guess that you've got a GM ECU running it, the mapping that they've applied is most likely to be just a removal of the VAT's (anti theft) and rear O2's and unlikely to be a real "tune" (as in spark/fuel/VE etc).

If you are ever in my area then drop me a line and I'll read your ECU out for you and do a compare against a stock tune (just for info rather than anything else).

It's possible that you actually have an issue that needs addressing (leaky manifold, non switching O2 sensor etc), or....you just need the CATs!

Did you get a print out of the Emissions results (might be a clue in the results that helps guide the approach).

Regards

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Hi Jim,
    That's very good of you to offer but it's not a mapping issue (as far as I'm aware) CATs are completely missing.
    Mapping was done in the states by John Spears personally and I'm told that Dave Brooks knows the car and indeed asked to copy the ecu mapping so I would think it was a pretty comprehensive job.
    After reading all the responses I think the first thing I need to do is get the CATs replaced and then take it from there.
    Once again thanks for your kind offer.
    The generosity of people on this forum who offer help and advice never cease to amaze me.
    Regards
    harrison.

Hope it all goes well.

Andy

Hmmm, 'dealer selling on behalf of a friend' - could be an interesting way to get past the sale goods act (i.e. Fit for purpose, pass an mot etc)

Dealer still liable.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by corn plaster View Post
    Dealer still liable.

Andy

Certainly is
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast