Advice on wilwood slave cylinder

Hi All, hoping you can provide some advice.

In 2015 my wilwood slave cylinder failed on my Sumo and I replaced it early last year.

Late last year I noticed that the clutch started getting softer so inspected and found the replacement slave had started leaking from under the rubber cover.

I have a replacement to replace again, but I'm conscious that there is something I'm missing that is causing premature failure in some way.

Any advice on things to consider when fitting the replacement would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    David

I wonder if you are over stroking it?
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Check the old cylinder bore for scrape marks indicating the pushrod is at an angle causing the seal to fail. The scrape marks indicate the seal barrel is being forced over to one side. Bore wear means the seal cannot seal.

It's just an idea as this happened to me.

Thanks Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Thanks for the replies, I'll take the failed one off and inspect further.

Thanks again

I suspect that Lee has the problem in a nut shell.
    It is important that the cylinder is stroked in a straight line without side load.
    Does the cylinder have a circlip in the end to prevent over stroking? Not all do.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

When you say stroked, I'm not sure what you mean. I am still a newbie

Do you mean the slave is not straight and thus putting extra pressure one side, causing premature failure?

Or do you mean the slave has not had the correct setup? i.e. the travel allowed is wrong if you know what I mean?

not sure if that makes sense?
    I think I need to read up more lol

Stroke is the "safe" amount of travel that the piston travels, if you stick too much fluid in then it either pops out of the end/leaks a bit/bangs against a circlip (aka over stroked). Lee is suggesting that the push rod isn't straight and may be scratching one side of the bore.

Rgds

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

If you inspect the inside for scrape marks along the wall it indicates what I said. Also the pushrod has to be moving in a straight line.

Really you should fit it all back and have someone push the clutch pedal whilst you watch the movement, watch it from above and below as it may look straight from one angle but not another. See if the end of the clutch arm is moving the pushrod in an arc or straight push.

Also check the circiip that holds the steel cap/washer in place is seated correctly, usually posting a few pics may help to identify what looks to be one of them annoying problems!!

Lee
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

All of us Crendon owners got a call from John Kerr a few weeks back advising any of us with Wilwood master cylinderss to switch them out to Girling as he had heard numerous stories about them failing. I have no other info but maybe an idea to switch to a comparable Girling unit? Appreciate you are dealing with slave cyl but maybe its a company wide issue (or not an issue at all?)
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Ah ok, I understand now. Many thanks

re:Girling, I already have the replacement wilwwod slave, so I'll see how I go with the replacement (taking into account the advice above) and if it fails again for no reason, I'll look to swap to an alternative.

Thanks again,
    David