IVA test question - Viper

Hi All,

a friend has completed his build of an Classic Replicas Viper - booked in for IVA test next month (earliest one he could get). He's got a question regarding the hood scoop and IVA checks on it.

He has had to modify the scoop height to allow for the air filter fitting etc - highest point is now 85mm from top of bonnet.

Anyone know what test IVA will do on this area - if any and what min/max height or issue he may get with it being that high - radius of front top edge is around 7.5mm going to appx 13mm on side edges.

regards

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) SRV8 with 383ci stroker chevy.

AFAIK There isn't a problem with height just radii. Might be advisable to fix some mesh to keep the tester's ball out.

mesh fitted, but it's set back from front by about 1 or 2 inches (so inside scoop)

IVA site seems to indicate a 5mm radius for external protrusions based on the info in this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...iorprojections

under the bit were it shows the 100mm sphere contacting the exhaust and then the radius of the bung(?) being checked.

I assume that this is what will be applied to the scoop? is this what has been applied to everyone else that has had IVA recently for their bonnet scoops

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) SRV8 with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dayiwill View Post
    AFAIK There isn't a problem with height just radii. Might be advisable to fix some mesh to keep the tester's ball out.
    wow hell of a test - and what size induction used to be able to drag the testers ball across the bonnet. Not mesh he needs but some form of surgical support !
    Chris Lutman -427SC Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    mesh fitted, but it's set back from front by about 1 or 2 inches (so inside scoop)

IVA site seems to indicate a 5mm radius for external protrusions based on the info in this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...iorprojections

under the bit were it shows the 100mm sphere contacting the exhaust and then the radius of the bung(?) being checked.

I assume that this is what will be applied to the scoop? is this what has been applied to everyone else that has had IVA recently for their bonnet scoops

rgds
    Gary
    Not 5mm but 2.5mm radius.
    Get a 100mm ball from a toy shop and anything that you can touch with it must have edges with a minimum of 2.5 mm radius rounding.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ion-manual.pdf
    Section 16 external projections covers it all.

for anyone remotely interested a quick update:

Went in for initial test beginning of May but failed on a couple of minor issue - self centering and needing a different outlet on the exhausts he had fitted.
    These where resolved and happy to say that it passed on retest yesterday

rgds
    Gary

Fantastic Gary!! i'm glad to hear Vipers are still coming out of the garages and getting through the IVA.
    I was going to say there can't be too many left now but given the average build must be 15 years there could still be a few more slowly approaching completion...
    Any chance of a few pics? I bet that scoop wasn't the only mod??
    pass on "happy driving" wishes and congratulations for perseverance!! Very well done!!
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.
    I'm sure if I give it enough love it will, someday, love me back!?

Hi Declan,

I'll see about getting some pics up (he's not on here, but will ask him if he's ok with me taking and posting some) - the scoop change wasn't even needed. He'd just fitted some ridged foam in the gap, but it wasn't even tested apparently.

He'd fitted a set of exhausts from a motorbike, but they wanted some curved outlets on them pointing away from the rear wheel arch/tyres as they said the heat could affect the tire - i beleive he welded a pair of SS outlets to them - haven't seem him since first test, so not seen any of the fail fixes - hopefully today.

will pass on congrats message

rgds
    Gary