Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ak horn earth

assuming you have a small plastic plug with a metal end that touches the metal collar on the back of the steering wheel then touch the multimeter on there with the ignition on and touch to a known good earth, if you get a circuit then touch the centre of the column shaft that the but goes on with the earth to see if that gets a circuit. My column has a small earth wire that goes from the bottom of the rack to an earth point on the chassis.

I'm using a push button horn on the centre of the wheel that the live attaches to. It only works when the button is inserted into the wheel as the spring on the side acts as the connection to earth but for some reason it only works when the spring is under pressure.
    AK GenII, collected 11th September 2015, passed IVA March 22nd 2017, On the road Friday 28th April 2017.
    LS6 468.4 bhp, 440 ft/lbs on the Dyno
    Canems ECU

Blog: http://markscobra.blogspot.co.uk

Cheers Mark, I have basically the same setup, and have even modified the boss to fit a direct connection to the earth tag on the horn button. My fundamental problem remains however that there's no continuity from the hub splines past the rack. Sounds like this isn't the normal situation but I can get round it with a brush arrangement. I'll post on here when it's working.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeara View Post
    I have had this problem on an airbag version column.

Take a piece of wire from bolt to bolt across the Ujs on the lower column shaft and you will have continuity to earth

So basically a piece of wire from pinch bolt to pinch bolt across the UJ

Hope this makes sense.
    That's a good idea!
    AK427 - Modified LS3 - TKO600
    Build started September 2014
    OTR March 2017

legendarydude.com

Thanks Mike. I can't take all the credit. I am simply passing on info from a lovely chap I know who built a car locally and had the same problem. Ha ha.

Did I mention he was an electrical engineer.

Ok guys, we have progress.
    I added a jump wire as suggested to bridge the column rubber coupling and the horn now works off the centre button. So goodnes knows what I was testing before to arrive at my initial view.
    I've had a fair number of 'interpretation issues' in following the wiring instructions and had to redo one or two things to get things going, not helped by having an E36 indicator stalk which doesnt have the same cabling colours as the E30 and E34. A quick call to Jon at Ak pointed me in the right direction and I'll document it in my blog.

So apart from one item all my electrics now works and I've even added a cooling fan override switch and fathomed out how to get the brake test savage switch to light from the switch itself, the handbrake and the master cylinder!

So here's my one outstanding issue and I'm sure it's something daft - as I said the horn works - but don't laugh - the Speedhut Tachometer registers full revs when the horn is pressed.....

I'll sleep on it and hopefully it will all be obvious tomorrow!
    Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches94 View Post
    So apart from one item all my electrics now works and I've even added a cooling fan override switch and fathomed out how to get the brake test savage switch to light from the switch itself, the handbrake and the master cylinder!

So here's my one outstanding issue and I'm sure it's something daft - as I said the horn works - but don't laugh - the Speedhut Tachometer registers full revs when the horn is pressed.....

I'll sleep on it and hopefully it will all be obvious tomorrow!
    Must be a crossed connection somewhere, does your tacho work properly when the horn is not pressed? Where does you live come from for the tacho, we assume it's earthed through the coil (or ECU)? The tacho must be switching to earth through the horn circuit somehow?

You know of course, that if the warning light works off the handbrake you don't need a test switch?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    Must be a crossed connection somewhere, does your tacho work properly when the horn is not pressed? Where does you live come from for the tacho, we assume it's earthed through the coil (or ECU)? The tacho must be switching to earth through the horn circuit somehow?

You know of course, that if the warning light works off the handbrake you don't need a test switch?

Cheers Craig - sound advice - I'll be out there in a minute to see whats what.

On the test light - yes I understand the point, however I bought the Savage test switch without thinking it through so thought I'd make it work. Helps out if the handbrake switch plays up in the IVA.
    Cheers
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12