Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPAS Conversion

EPAS Conversion

For Sale is an Electronic Power Assisted Steering conversion using the Vauxhall Corsa column and the Easysteer control module. This allows you to set automatic changeover speeds for high, medium and low assistance. This comes with the optical speed pick up for mounting on the prop and easy to follow instructions.I acquired this to help a friend convert his Dax to EPAS but he has decided to sell the car so it is no longer required.
    The steering column includes both sets of stalks. The ignition barrel and steering lock have been removed as it was destined for a car with dash mounted ignition switch and a starter button.
    £135 + postage
    DSC04281.JPG
    DSC04282.JPG
    DSC04283.JPG
    Crendon 427 Chassis no. 10 - 351 Cleveland. Tot Rod mini me.

That's cheap! Those control modules are great, I know the guy who makes/develops them and I had one on my set up.

Yes i have one fitted to mine as well. Easy to fit and seamless changeover of assistance levels. I am not looking to make a profit from members on here just recover some costs but if it does not sell then it will go on ebay for a more "suitable" price. I found Rick at Easysteer to be a very helpful guy.
    Crendon 427 Chassis no. 10 - 351 Cleveland. Tot Rod mini me.

That was going to be my next project on my Dax! So if it's still available, you have a buyer!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

No problem pm me your contact details and I will package it up and let you know the postage cost

Alan, if you want to save yourself a lot of work.
    Buy the mounting bracket from Dax.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Hi Kev,

Yes, the Dax bracket would make this an easier job, and would also enable me to retain my Sierra switchgear and s/s stalks! The problem is that it's designed for the Corsa B column, whereas Paul's is from a Corsa C. I could just sell on the "C" column and buy a "B" one, but these attract premium pricing from the breakers, and I'm also concerned that the donor vehicles for these are close to 20 years old now. Is it wise to trust a vital control function to a fairly complex component of that age? And can a unit be tested when already removed from the donor vehicle to check that everything functions correctly - especially the torque sensor(s)?

Our revered moderator has given me some very useful info on how he installed a Corsa C column in his GD (thanks Jim!), so I have a local expert I can call on if I go down the "C" route!

So my preference is to use a Corsa C column, together with the Dax bracket! I'm keen to know how easy it would be to modify the Dax bracket to accommodate a Corsa C column. Did you use a "B" or "C" column? If you used a "B" column, another approach would be for me to call Simon at Dax and ask if he could bring a bracket to their stand at Stoneleigh so that I can hold it up against a Corsa C column and gauge the mods required.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Alan, if you want to save yourself a lot of work.
    Buy the mounting bracket from Dax.
    Alan

I used a Corsa B column and the Dax brackets. I also had a 'spare' Corsa C column and it would have been an interesting job to convert the B bracket to the C column. Also, the C column has the ECU mounted directly on the column so this may present access / clearance issues.
    Regarding the age of the columns, the shaft is engineered to be directly coupled from the steering wheel to the output shaft. The EPAS is merely an assistance motor that sits around the shaft. If the motor / control gear fails, you still have direct steering should it all go Pete Tong.
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this.

As I understand it the Corsa C ECU can be unbolted from the column, though it has fairly short wires so would need to be located nearby, or the wires cut and extensions soldered in. From your experience, could you see an issue with doing that?

Re the fail-safe design, a fairly high proportion of my driving these days is on mountain roads in Europe, and my main concern is that having the steering unexpectedly go stiff halfway round a hairpin bend with a sheer drop could be a rather interesting experience!

From the research I've done so far, the main "old age" problem with the Corsa B columns is that the assistance gradually becomes stronger in one direction than the other (presumably a torque sensor issue). Hence my wondering whether, if I were to buy a Corsa B column at today's inflated breaker prices, there would be a way to reliably test the operation before actually fitting it.

Any advice welcome!
    Alan

If the breakers are starting to charge inflated prices I will have to keep my spare column just in case i do have a issue.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast