Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah - I googled and found a youtube video .. about how the pattern ones fail early, which probably isn't what you were hoping to hear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyl5cCOvIis

But yeah - I saw it has only two pins there, and according to that if you apply +12v it moves to 'bypass' (no flow through the matrix) and unpowered defaults to providing heat; he actually states that you can go from cold to hot in stages by varying the input voltage but I'm not so sure on that.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

You need demist for IVA, so, sure, you need a heater.

But why bothering trying to switch the heat off?
    If you have some heat left over from the demist action for your feet on a cold day, then great. If you need cooler air on a hot day, ad a fresh air vent into the footwell, as per original cars.
    But most of the time they are pretty ineffective in an open top car. The heater fan is usually the thing which governs how much heat you'll feel in the cockpit.
    Last edited by KevinW; 24-04-17 at 10:45 AM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Fiesta switch pulses to open valve as required. Fiesta switch has a known fault.

Andy

Im using exactly this valve but I think mine came off a Puma, but its still the same part. I mounted it on the rear face of the passenger inner wheel arch. Pipes come from the heater round the front of the engine, into the valve then on to the T7 Designs heater matrix in the passenger footwell through a bulkhead pipe feedthrough jobby. Annoyingly I don't have a photo on my blog but I'll see if I can get a pic tonight.

I never touch the switch for the solenoid, its just always open. Adds a bit of extra cooling . Didn't really think about it too much when I built the car, I think at that point in the build I realised I need to stop agnosing over every tiny decision and just get on and build it

Dave a

Quote Originally Posted by corn plaster View Post
    Fiesta switch pulses to open valve as required. Fiesta switch has a known fault.
    That makes more sense than variable voltage - presumably PWM controls the duty cycle and therefore the amount of water that goes through. Still, "on or off" is probably more than enough in a Cobra given the lack of roof/windows/etc as Kevin says.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

@hifihedgehog - Dave, a pic would be great - also good point re don't use the solenoid switch at all - just leave it always open instead - that will be the easiest way for now and will give me an option at a later time if I want to do the on/off bit.

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Here we go hope these help

great stuff Dave - cheers for that

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Hi all,

I have one of these and use it re-route the flow when the VW heater is closed, this prevents water flowing over the back of the stat on an LS 3. So I fitted one to allow the flow over the stat when heater is set to cold.
    I used a arduino and PWM to control the solenoid but it is not receptive to variable control.
    Just use 12v / 0v on off is my recommendation.

I do still use the arduino to control it using temperature feedback for the engine.

Neil.

Hi, Why not use a domestic 15mm pluming Isolator valve with Yorkshire solder ring fittings to fit 5/8" hoses plus tee pieses for bypass cost of valve £2.59 from screwfix
    Neville

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast