Thread: Spring rates

Spring rates

What sort of spring rates front and rear are you guys using on a Rover powered, jag front and rear axled cars. Mine feels a bit too soft on my Viper, so looking to go a bit stiffer. I realise it can vary between different manufacturers, but looking for ball park figures
    Thanks in advance
    Nige

From experience with my friends viper and another friend which we partially built in tandem strength of the springs was not the issue it was the angle they were mounted at as they should be near vertical but we're in fact at about 60deg from memory. Once the mounting points were sorted front and rear it drove like a totally different car with really nice road manners.

Thanks Tinka, mine are at 20 deg from verticle at the rear as I've narrowed the rear axle and the mounting points changed accordingly. The fronts look about right but I've not measured that as they looked about right. Do you remember what poundage the springs were? At thecresr I'm running 450 lb per side and it feels too soft. A large friend of mine got in it. And the rear dropped by 3" at the arch!!
    Nige

I can't remember what the springs were at the rear as he changed to a single spring. One thing you need to check on the rear though is what the angle of the spring is as it compresses because as the suspension goes down the angle gets worse and the further from vertical you go the less effect the spring has. With my mates car we were able to move the top mount and get the shocks to about 5 deg, and like I say the difference was unbelievable as I did drive the car before and after. Just checked my car and at ride height they are only 9 deg. I'm no expert but 20 deg sounds too much too me.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Wow! 278 viewes and only one person replied , doesn't anyone know what poundage the springs are on the front and rear of their Cobras?? If so please post them up as it might help others besides just me
    Cheers..Nige

GD Mk3, 400 per side at the rear (2*200lbs each side) - can't remember what's on the front.

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

No idea of the figures on my AK, I just phoned DamperTech, told them which marque and engine combo and they sent the correct ones. Sorry I didn't reply, didn't think the above was much use to your viper!

From memory AK run something like 200 lb or 225 lb X 2 each side on the rear.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

SRV8, Rover 4.6, changed from 300 fronts to 400 and major improvement, softly damped and better ride and handling on these Devonshire lanes. No idea on the back as haven't taken that apart ( yet ) but got very nearly 50/50 weight distribution so would expect 2 * 200 or 225 per side I guess to balance roll.