XJ40 Hub carrrier pivot spacers

I am just assembling the xj40 rear hub carriers into the wishbones on a gen 2 AK.
    The manual says to insert fulcrum spacers between the hub carrier pivot bearings and the wishbones.
    Am I right in assuming there should be a spacer on each side of the hub carrier bearings. i.e 2 per side.
    Also am I right in thinking these spacers are to take up the slack between the wishbone and the hub carrier ?

Cheers

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I'm building an AK Gen 3 but I believe that the process is the same.

You are correct in your assumptions. They are there to space the hub centrally in the wishbone and also to make sure that the hub is free to swivel about its fulcrum and not rub on the wishbone.

I had an issue whilst trying to fit mine. The 'U' section on mine had closed up by a few mm's on one side which stopped me assembling the hub, spacers etc. On mine I have a spacer each side of the fulcrum bearings, 2 per hub carrier therefore 4 in total.

If you are interested you can sort of see it on my build blog, link as follows. Hope this helps.

http://stu238-ak427.blogspot.co.uk/2...-arms-and.html

Keep up the good work. It will be worth it.

Cheers,
    Stu.
    AK427 Gen III, Ford 347, TKO600
    Build Blog:- stu238-ak427.blogspot.co.uk

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the reply.
    It’s as I thought then. It just looks like I’m missing a couple of spacers.
    I’m thinking I can just use suitable thickness washers to replace the spacers.
    As long as there is no play fore and aft in the hub carrier but it pivots nicely around the fulcrum then I should be good to go..

Cheers

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Just had a quick look at the XJ40 parts catalogue. What you do have to be aware of is that there is normally washers and graded spacers. If the spacers are the wrong width then you could over compress the taper roller bearings inducing premature wear if they are to tight. You could also leave them too loose which would allow free play.

Cheers,
    Stu
    Attached Files Attached Files

I had a look at the XJ40 parts list and the spacers are available in different sizes.
    I guess if you are using a donor wishbone then if you refit the donor spacers you should be ok.
    However the latest AK setup doesn’t use any of the donor wishbone.
    So you couldn’t assume your donor spacers would give you the correct set up anyway.
    I think all I can do is set it up so there is no play fore and aft and there is a little bit of pre load on the bearings.
    I’ll give AK a call and see what they recommend.

Cheers

Mike.

Sounds like a plan. I'm pretty certain that that is what Jon will advise.

Cheers,
    Stu