Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlights?

Headlights?

I'm looking for recommendations for some IVA compliant headlights that you can actually see at night with😳
    My past kit car experience has been dim useless headlights 😔
    I'm going to Stoneleigh and buying headlights but anyone have any ideas on which one are usable in the real world and not just for show🤔

In my experience, the first thing to confirm is that you have a true 12 volts + (nearer 13.5 volts) at the headlights with the engine running. My car wiring and headlight switch induced a fair bit of voltage drop which made the headlights appear poor.
    My headlights are now wired via relays. The headlights are connected via properly sized cables to a positive supply and the relays are switched via the headlight switch.
    I use Wipac bowls and Osram Nightrider H4 bulbs and the lighting is now spot on.
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Hi thanks Steve but your missing the point
    My cars still in build
    My past kit a Westfield had rubbish headlights till I fitted new 4" bullet headlights
    These would look completely out of place on a Cobra
    So I'm just looking for surgestions for suitable lights that work well🤔

I think that's the bit where Steve says he used Wipac bowls and Osram bulbs Probably these (made by Wipac): http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/u...ith-chrome-rim

I bought some very expensive LED lights but as I haven't finished build yet can't say how well they work .. I can say they poke out of the light housings and look rather ugly, though, so they'll probably end up going back. (Came from Europa, branded "Trucklite", they don't list them anymore fortunately)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by Pickmaster View Post
    Hi thanks Steve but your missing the point
    My cars still in build
    My past kit a Westfield had rubbish headlights till I fitted new 4" bullet headlights
    These would look completely out of place on a Cobra
    So I'm just looking for surgestions for suitable lights that work well������

Steve's advice hits the mark. Wipac 7 inch round headlights (do they call them "Quadoptic" or something?) are correct fitment for a Cobra and with H4 bulbs are good enough for any normal person at night

Dave A

Hi not sure if they are iva compliant but I have just bought some led bulbs for my cobra and they are superb. Low amp draw and hugely bright. They fit the standard headlight set up but do need a large amount of space behind the bulb as they have a cooling fan built in. EBay! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by S&W Python MK1V View Post
    Hi not sure if they are iva compliant but I have just bought some led bulbs for my cobra and they are superb. Low amp draw and hugely bright. They fit the standard headlight set up but do need a large amount of space behind the bulb as they have a cooling fan built in. EBay! ������
    Hi, Sounds good. I would be interested in which ones you got.

Thanks.
    Stu
    AK427 Gen III, Ford 347, TKO600
    Build Blog:- stu238-ak427.blogspot.co.uk

Cool LED Bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by Stu238 View Post
    Hi, Sounds good. I would be interested in which ones you got.

Thanks.
    Stu
    Hi Stu

Its another Stu, these are the ones that i am using http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H4-9003...MAAOSwA3dYKYm1 I have no idea how long they will last but superbly bright and you can keep the period look! My only criticism is that they are pained a pinky/purple and leave a slight hew at the back of the light when off.....

Stu

Hi Stu,

Such a common name (but a good one). Thanks for this. I'll have a good look.

Cheers,
    Stu.
    AK427 Gen III, Ford 347, TKO600
    Build Blog:- stu238-ak427.blogspot.co.uk

I will be at Stoneleigh on Sunday from about 10.30-11am Black Cobra L509 ... if you see me and want a chat.....

Stu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast