Duncmason Guest

Oil Temp Sender Advice

I wonder if someone can give me a little advice?

I have a RV8 with ETB gauges in my Sumo. I was cleaning the Temp/Pressure sender, a KMGY one, and put the nut that held the contact on what must have been a little too tight and the probe snapped. Sooo, now I have working oil pressure but no temp. Looked to get a new sender and was told 5-6 week wait and best part of £100!! So, question is, what is the best way to resolve this? I think there is another temp sender a little further forward on the engine, just above the oil filter. this looks like a bayonet fitting rather than a contact that is held on with a nut. Does anyone know if this will work with ETB gauges and if not, is there another way around my temp gauge problem?

Dunc Mason

Didn't know etb did a combined pressure and temp sender, normally it's a combined pressure and oil light?

Duncmason Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Didn't know etb did a combined pressure and temp sender, normally it's a combined pressure and oil light?
    Well, I don't know if they do. The sender I have is a KMGY one. It's Hungarian.

I found a sender on the Europa website last night, I just need to ring em up and find if it'll do the trick. Its half the price of the KMGY one which is a bonus.

Sender normally needs to match the gauge, just buying one from any supplier may not show correct figures!

Have you looked on the ETB website they aren't that expensive.
    Les

Sumo Chevy 350. IVA Passed first time 16th September 2014
    Registered and on the road 31 October 2014

Duncmason Guest
    Thanks guys. Chatted to ETB and they solved my query.

I'm afraid I got it utterly wrong!! Cause I bust the probe on the oil pressure sender, but the pressure gauge still worked I assumed (!) that the temp sender was oil temp from the snapped probe. Its not. It is actually water temp that is not working and I have no idea where the sender for the water temp is! It also seems like a very strange co-incidence that the gauge stopped working at the exact same time as the probe snap. My electricery may well be all screwed up....

Anyhow, if anyone can forgive my massive rookie error previously, could anyone point me in the right direction for the water temp sender on the RV8? It is a 1976 that came from an SD1.

The water temperature sender on my RV8 was in the inlet manifold towards the front.

Duncmason Guest
    Thanks Tinka. Mine has an Offenhauser manifold. There is what looks like a temp sender on the front offside, but nothing is, or was, connected to it...

I think that is what I had and that should be your temperature sensor.

Duncmason Guest
    Yep, that's it. Fixed it. Thanks!

Next problem.....

I have a trigger wheel fitted and when I fitted it, I cut the top off the now useless dizzy, and fitted an end cap over the shaft which drives the oil pump. Went for a drive today after trying to seal some small oil leaks. Took it easy for 15 minutes and then opened her up a little. When I got back my flipping end cap had come off. There was only a small amount of oil had leaked out, but more than the small oil leaks I'd hoped I'd fixed!! So now I need a new end cap. I think the diameter of the outside of the shaft is 13/16ths of an inch, anyone know where I might be able to get hold of something suitable to cap the gap?