Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ford 351W Air Filter

Morning All,

What Air Filter are people using on Ford 351W's please?

My 351W had an Edelbrock Pro Flow 1000 Foam Air Filter when I bought it and I was advised on this forum to change that as it can be a fire risk. I ordered a nice Edelbrock 14 inch air filter to match the rocker covers and it dosnt clear the distributor.

A bit of research and I have found the Ford Racing Cobra 13 Inch air filter, picture below, that I assume was designed to fit although measuring from distributor to centre point of carb is 6.25 inches - which implies only a 12.5inch filter would fit. Not sure if the Ford 13 inch is actually a bit bit smaller in real life but any views or suggestions for alternatives would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

i have a brand new, never used one of those pictured in my garage. My bonnet would not shut with that air filter on due to the height of my inlet manifold. I used all K and N in the end. With a carb drop plate with the "extreme" filter top.

tristan
    DAX DE DION

yes it did clear the distributor though and looked lovely. Gutted i could not use it.
    DAX DE DION

I've got a 351W in my car and run with the Cobra oval filter on mine without any problems.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Martin this might be a stupid question but I assume your oval filter runs front to back and not side to side ? Does it clear and just extend over the top of the distributor as on my engine an Oval would run well over the top of it?

Thanks Tristan I will be conscious of the hood clearance then as well, if I go down the 13 inch route.

Thanks
    Andrew

Yes that's right no clearance issue at all.

I run a Ford 351 Windsor in my SRV8, my air filter also hit the dizzy so I cut the centre out of the BOTTOM plate, about 5 mm of centre, from memory the circle I cut out is about 5 inches in diameter,, then welded it back in after turning half a turn round, so my base sits on 10 mm further back.
    Frank Dowsett. BLOKE. if you cant follow this, send my your e mail and I will mail you a pic. of the bottom plate.

Hmmmm - Frank I like that thinking. I would really like to use the Edelbrock one I have. I think I will need to shift it about 25mm so would mean cutting 12.5mm off centre and finding a friend with welding gear, perhaps it will be my excuse to finally buy some. I will have a look tonight but that is a novel solution - another example of why I love the advice on this forum!

Andrew

OK so I had a good look last night - I think if I use Franks trick and cut/weld off centre to re-position the filter further back it will clear distributor just fine - I will also take 5mm off the collar that butts to the carb to drop things down a further smidge - doing this everything clears around the carb and I will have about 10-15mm clearance from the filter to the hood scoop on each lateral edge of the filter top plate.

Quick question for those more knowledgeable than myself - do you reckon that will be sufficient? My concern is that I have no idea how likely or by how much the engine may move on its mountings under high torque.

Thanks
    Andrew

I have about 5mm of clearance at the closest point above my air filter, It has touched in the past but after adjusting it and putting a slight angle on the inlet manifold face it never touches now (I have injection in mine so don't have to worry about the fuel bowel).
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast