Electric demist heaters

Hi all,
    Has anyone used electric heater demisters rather than a "plumbed" in heater? Just thinking out loud at the moment but looks a lot simpler?
    Bob

Simpler?

Andy

Elect will not work adequately. Believe me I spent a lot of time looking for different products and looking at the sums of heat delivered.
    Impossible to beat a small plumbed in heater, such as a T7. Ignore adverts for 12V hair driers.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Hi, just as another option. I believe now that Brass Craft are selling heated screens. When I spoke to Chris at Stonleigh recently he told me that an upgrade to have mine replaced would be around £200.00 ish (TBC). Not cheap but I am seriously thinking about this as one day I eventually want a hardtop too. Should be generally good for demist which would lower the need for a high air flow heater etc.

Just needs a small hole through the body under the rubber strip and the additional wiring, relay, fuse etc.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
    Stu
    AK427 Gen III, Ford 347, TKO600
    Build Blog:- stu238-ak427.blogspot.co.uk

Kev, don't know your views but I think its also worth pointing out that the T7, nicely packaged piece of kit that it is, isn't really going to keep you warm on a cold day. They'll get you through IVA but they're pretty anaemic I would say. The weak link in them is the fan which is really only a decent quality computer cooling fan.

I'm strongly pondering taking mine apart and making a new box for the heater element to allow me to put a more powerful fan in there. Not sure how much extra heat can be had from the little rad in them but might be worth a try.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Kev, don't know your views but I think its also worth pointing out that the T7, nicely packaged piece of kit that it is, isn't really going to keep you warm on a cold day. They'll get you through IVA but they're pretty anaemic I would say. The weak link in them is the fan which is really only a decent quality computer cooling fan.

I'm strongly pondering taking mine apart and making a new box for the heater element to allow me to put a more powerful fan in there. Not sure how much extra heat can be had from the little rad in them but might be worth a try.
    Probably right, as they are in fact derived from computer parts. I had a Mini heater in the Sumo - good as rubbish, so I have always assumed driving a cobra is just a 4 wheeled version of when I used to ride a bike!

If Chris was doing heated screens when i got mine, thats what i would have had - the best way to go imho. Then you can forget all the stupid faff with ducting.....and make your car look more original (no heaters/demist on orignal S/Cs).
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I asked Chris to upgrade my order to a heated screen when I bumped into him at Stoneleigh - he wasn't entirely sure at that point if he'd have supply worked out, though.

Speaking of heaters, the heater in the MR2 Roadster I used to have was fantastic - it would keep you toasty warm even with the roof down and only slightly less so with the windows down; hands-down the best heater I've had in a convertible (the M3 was useless, 645Ci only slightly better.. I guess the Mercedes 'air scarf' would oust it though). It's a huge assembly though (see here: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/638/2...2864524e_z.jpg) and I doubt it would fit unless you removed the passengers legs..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Elect will not work adequately. Believe me I spent a lot of time looking for different products and looking at the sums of heat delivered.
    Impossible to beat a small plumbed in heater, such as a T7. Ignore adverts for 12V hair driers.
    We passed SVA with 12v electric heaters.

PM me for details.

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Hi Tony
    PM sent