Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tory Manefesto

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Under the Con manfisto, the threshold is raised from £23k to £100k.
    What will happen in practice is that many people will see a chronic condition approaching, and sign over the house to their off spring. Hence, no assets.

Andy: your taxes/NI fund all the current pensioners. There is no 'personal pot', only a vague future entitlement. The fundamental problem is that the ratio of working people : pensioners has dramatically changed since you were in your 20s. Medical technology is keeping many more pensioners alive for much longer. This pic illustrates the problem:

https://www.pwc.co.uk/issues/megatre...ues-dsc-02.png

This represents the biggest burden on the tax system as state pensions, healthcare and social care costs are spiralling out of control.

The underlying problem is that nuclear families in Western Countries are not reproducing sufficiently, with less than 2 kids per couple. It has been speculated that the extra wealth and prosperity we enjoy in the Western economies is encouraging people to spend more on themselves rather than produce more kids. One perhaps uncomfortable solution is that to stand still we need a few more migrants with their bigger families to generate the plebs that will replenish the taxable workforce. Or there needs to be govt incentives/tax breaks for everyone to breed more (but that costs tax money). or we all pay more taxes to keep the current pensioners going. Or we all start making earlier greater personal provision. Or we start to encourage euthanasia.

Unfortunately politicians of all parties would rather talk to you about ideas and principles, and ignore the inconvenient truths in the data.

Not sure about the statement "the Western economies is encouraging people to spend more on themselves rather than produce more kids". I would like to replace the word encouraging with forcing. That would be a more truthful statement.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Or we start to encourage euthanasia.
    When I get too decrepit do enjoy life I'm booking a one way ticket to Switzerland.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

It wasn't that long ago that families looked after their elderly and infirm, properties then stayed within the family and were passed down. Now it appears that families want the state to look after their elderly and infirm but they still want their properties handed down. In my opinion you can't have it both ways, either let the state look after your elderly and they can have the assets, or if you want the assets then look after your elderly yourselves, as in the past!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    It wasn't that long ago that families looked after their elderly and infirm, properties then stayed within the family and were passed down. Now it appears that families want the state to look after their elderly and infirm but they still want their properties handed down. In my opinion you can't have it both ways, either let the state look after your elderly and they can have the assets, or if you want the assets then look after your elderly yourselves, as in the past!
    Tony for PM - gets my vote!!

It's a mess and it doesn't matter who is in power. We i get to a certain age I will sell the house, rent somewhere cheapish and not keep much in the bank. Free health care until the one way trip to Switzerland..

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post

Must admit I have never thought about it like that before, but there is definitely an element of truth to your point.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

My mother looked after my grandfather (her father) for a good 10 years plus while Parkinson's slowly robbed him of the ability to move, communicate, defecate unaided, etc.. she had the benefit of previously being an RN, but that was of scant help. It's not a burden I'd wish on my own worst enemy.

Another reason to ship me off to Dignitas if I head in that direction! (And her request to me was not to do what she did - to put them in a home if it came to it)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

With careful planning, correct legal advice, skillfully navigating your way around the system, and finding and exploiting the pressure points you find therein, it is possible to protect inheritence whilst still getting LA funding for aged relatives.

It does however take an iordinate amount of effort, obstinacy and sheer bloodymindedness.

Most relatives just haven't got the time, the nit picking personality or the manipulation/ strategic thinking / tactical skills necessary to push the LA into line and to follow their own strictures even though it goes against their own policies, practice and financial rules.

Families should not have to do this, and if I could buy insurance when I retire against dementia/ car home fees I would.

In the meantime, as I saw on the back of a Winnebago in the USA, I shall be "Chasing Adventure before Dementia"...

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    Tony for PM - gets my vote!!
    +1 here. Tony makes a very good point.

The problem today is that many more women work, but in days gone past (50s, 60s) many more women were at home and doing the caring of the elderly relative, along with the kids. Then the old girl/boy popped off quite quickly. Now they can be potentially hanging around for decades.

Its a tricky one, but some sort of tax deal for generational families might help. I am sure the state simply can't cope on the current trajectory.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Replica FPSB. Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I have read the posts with interest and Tony is spot on with his point. The big issue is , overall we are living longer with the lifestyle we have and added bonus of drugs to keep us going. All of that needs paying for and what we pay into NHS at present is not near enough to cope if we want to have our parents looked after by the state. Overall the NHS does a fantastic job but there are issues with it that require sorting. We have the USA to blame for most of it by having a policy to cover ones back just in case something goes wrong. The cost to the NHS must be terrific on pay outs. I fully understand if complete negligence has taken place then heads must role but the massive payouts cannot be maintained. Too many people are still using Doctors prescriptions for tablets and ointments that you can buy very cheaply at the chemist.
    We either pay a lot more money into the system or go down the route of USA. My vote is to pay more and look after your parents through old age. Accepted in some cases you have no choice to go into a home but that should not be the norm. It would be my worst nightmare!!
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast