Getrag box and AK adapter

I have a couple of questions about the Getrag gearbox/clutch installation using the AK adapter kit.

I am ready to mate my refurbished getrag with my chevy engine.
    I was just wondering about a couple of things.
    I’ve knocked the AK supplied bush into the crank and inserted the needle bearing..
    Do I need to grease the needle bearing ??
    Also do I need to grease splines on the gearbox input shaft.
    I’m sure I’ve read this somewhere but I’m concerned about grease flying around and getting on the friction plate.

Cheers

Mike.

Hi Mike,

i'd say yes on the spigot bearing but no on the clutch plate splines for the aforementioned reason.

Alan.
    AK Gen II delivery date Oct '15
    IVA pass Dec '18.
    On the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.

I'd agree with Alan. If you need to lube the splines at all I would do a wipe on & wipe off with copper slick.
    Depending upon your bell housing you will have fun aligning the gearbox with the engine. I ended up leaving off the end plate of my Mccloud shatter proof in order to ensure that the spigot protruded far enough into the bearing in the flywheel.
    My other hot tip would be to try to align the clutch slave up as straight as possible with point of contact on the clutch release arm, which needs a custom slave cylinder bracket. Not only will you avoid the well documented problem of rods popping off of the end of the arm but the clutch pedal movement will be much easier. Its all a bit fiddly doing this within the confines of the slave cylinder vs chassis leg but well worth it in my experience.
    Robin
    AK427

In the end when I dialed in my bell housing (long story) I bought an old clutch aligning tool (made of metal) and used this to fit the clutch assembly and then put a small wedge in to eliminate any movement. I then worked out exactly how long it needed to be so that I could cut off the end of the shaft and cut a slot into it so that I could fit a dial gauge to run on the lip of the bell housing. This way once I got it correct I never needed to remove it again and just bolted up the gearbox and adapter plate.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8