Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low bellhousing

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarbod View Post
    Noel had fun with a bellhousing a long time ago, it used to ground out all over the place, one day the bellhousing cracked, the gearbox was no longer supported properly which placed a huge load on the crankshaft, the crankshaft snapped. There was nothing much that could be used from that engine.
    BLoody hell!!
    AK Gen II

Chevy 350

Tremec TKO 500

Gave up on the low mean look ages ago as it was costing me too much in replacement parts, though the plus side i can crush a polo mint with my sphincter Lol, i raised my engine and gearbox with 1/4" shims, and the suspension by 3/8", which sorted most issues, biggest and best difference though has been choosing 50 profile tyres rather than 45s, and the bonus is they fill the arches better too, have no problems at all now with any speed humps, though tyre choice (17" rims) is rather restricted!

Fitting a sump guard is the way to go!! Saved four of us on ECM where some of the roads and humps were just waiting to crack our housings. Fits AK and DAX and if interested I need minimum of orders for 4 off to keep the cost down. Made from stainless steel.
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

+1 for Charlie's sump guard.

The scenic route to the ECM I'd planned down through the Vosges mountains in France included a section of bumpy single track minor road with a ridge in the centre. Had it not been for the "AKC" sump guard I fitted a few weeks before, I doubt my bellhousing would have survived its encounter with that ridge .......

Thanks Charlie!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

I love the look of Charlie's sump guard - shame the FE pans I have are 'front sumped' rather than rear sumped (like the picture), so it would need to come considerably further forward before kicking up. Guess I'll have to make my own when the time comes
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

The sump guard I had was a similar shape to Charlie's but without the "arms" to fasten to the chassis, mine was welded to the sump before I fitted it to the engine.

If you send me a drawing/sketch with measurements, I can get one priced for you.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I love the look of Charlie's sump guard - shame the FE pans I have are 'front sumped' rather than rear sumped (like the picture), so it would need to come considerably further forward before kicking up. Guess I'll have to make my own when the time comes
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Charlie, I would be interested in a sump guard for my AK. Could you tell me the height difference between the sump guard and the chassis rails.. I can then make sure it fits with my sump.

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    If you send me a drawing/sketch with measurements, I can get one priced for you.
    Charlie
    Top man! I will - next time the engine is in the engine bay, anyway.. bit difficult to take measurements at the moment as there's just a gaping hole there where one should be
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Hi Mike, distance from chassis to sump guard is 70mm. I have LS3 with Tremec 6 speed and the bell housing misses the guard by 1mm! My mate also has an LS3 but has a Getrag box and he has about 20mm clearance so a lot depends on what combination of engine/box. PM me if you want more detail.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by incey1966 View Post
    Charlie, I would be interested in a sump guard for my AK. Could you tell me the height difference between the sump guard and the chassis rails.. I can then make sure it fits with my sump.

Cheers

Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast