Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Sounds fixed.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    Yesterday I finally got around to re-fitting the alternator, having had a new rectifier fitted and took the car out for a test drive. Charge light went out instant engine was started and stayed out on tick over, and volt meter was bang on 14.5 volts, so far so good. Then took the car down the M45,which was deserted (must be the most unused motorway in England),and the volt meter displayed a rock steady 14.5 volts during the entire length ,even when I gunned the engine up to 5500 rpm during gear changes . It held 14.5 volts right up to 110 mph, at which point the speedo lost the plot, and needle plummeted to zero. This seems to be a common fault, judging by the number of posts on the subject. I then took it down some bumpy roads, turned on the lights and fan,which caused a slight drop as predicted ,then back up to 14.5 with lights and fan off, and still ok. I know its early days yet, and I need to take it out on some longer journeys, but fingers crossed it’s finally fixed (touch wood)

Should hopefully be OK now!
    Alan

CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)
    Dax 427 DeDion - Huddart SBC 383

How is your speedo driven. Usually it's a sensor thing that causes the speedo drive to drop out. But of course as you never drove over 70mph on the public road that's not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by dgosumo View Post
    How is your speedo driven. Usually it's a sensor thing that causes the speedo drive to drop out. But of course as you never drove over 70mph on the public road that's not a problem
    It’s electronic, driven by a sensor/sender unit mounted on a bracket, in close proximity to a multi bladed fan mounted on the prop shaft, near the axle. While it was up on ramps at NMS, I checked to see if anything was loose, wires, fan blade sensor etc., and all looked good. I cannot remember what the gap was between the sensor and chopper blade, maybe it needs the gap decreasing or increasing , or maybe the chopper blade or sensor bracket is vibrating at speed, or perhaps the car is just saying ,”hey asshole”, slow down or your gonna get a ticket !
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345