Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Photos from an Image Hosting Site

In another forum, I've just read how Photobucket has changed it's terms of use and no longer allows "third party hosting" or "image linking" which apparently means using "img" links are no longer allowed.

Under their revised terms, they say:

Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

so what is a Plus Account? Well for one thing, it costs $400 a year! As per below:

•Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

You can read more here (although be prepared for adverts to be an issue when trying to read it):

http://photobucket.com/terms

I've checked some other forums I belong to and the pictures are still there, however there's no telling what the future will bring. Some members of other forums have already said there pictures no longer appear and in place of them is a posting from PhotoBucket stating they need to upgrade their account.

Now, whether or not pictures I want to post will be allowed, or whether ones I've previously posted will disappear, I have to state that using Photobucket has been next to impossible for at least a year. The constant adverts slow it down to a crawl and it can completely lock up at times (at least for me using Windows 7). So I'm going to try a different image host site.

After a brief effort researching what's available, Imgur looks the most promising:

http://imgur.com/

By the way, I know you can upload pictures directly to this site, but I find it confusing and I think it has limits. Besides, I need a image host that I can use for other forums I belong to.

So.... a little bit of info for you and I admit it sounds like such poor judgement from Photobucket that it may be reversed or I'm misinterpreting what they are trying to achieve. I suggest any of you wanting to use an image host to post in forums look into this on your own.

ps: some more info: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0..._3rdparty_pgs/
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Interesting, I too have found that photo bucket has got so ad heavy and slow that I've pretty much given up using it, from what you say will I ever be able to recover photos already uploaded to it and be able to upload them elsewhere?

I finally got an email from Photobucket, and seeing how they caught up with me, I checked and yes indeedy... all my pictures posted in forums now look like this (actually a picture of Cobra key-chains... if you see the key-chains, then Photobucket must have reversed their decision):

Really... the loss of so many pictures to certain forums, especially if most members use Photobucket, devalues the website. People searching for help will no longer get all the information that was once presented. Wouldn't it be interesting to see litigation from Photobucket from a plethora of website forums....
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I'm reasonably sure that there'll be no legal entity left to sue, soon, John. Photobucket realised their business model (enormous amounts of advertising making the site all but unusable) was failing when 99.9% of views were hotlinked images and made a last-ditch effort to save themselves. Except I'd be surprised if even 1% of their user-base will cough up, so my prediction is they'll fold or be acquired by someone else before the end of the year.

I use imgbb.com for forum posts now, though I fully expect that, too, to have a short lifespan.. anything I want to remain available for posterity goes on hosting that I pay for (and manage myself, but that last step is optional! )

The trouble with the Internet is that it has taught us all to expect something (photo hosting, social networking, youtube content, forums) for free, when in reality a high-bandwidth site (like Photobucket) costs an enormous amount to run. There are predictions that the ad-based-services market is approaching the bursting of it's bubble, at which point I guess we'll suddenly remember what the 1990s Internet was like!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Well Aaron, I’d say you pretty well summed that up, however your comment about “expect something for free” irks me a bit. Why? Because it’s true, and that makes me feel cheap. LOL.

So here I am posting a thread which is meant to be an advisory about Photobucket, and I make (at least) two mistakes:

1/ I recommend other free image hosting sites. “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.” which is part of the point you make. There is no guarantee as to the longevity of any of these free sites so one ought to be prepared for this.

2/ I mentioned about litigation from forum owners. I really had no business doing that. I was thinking of how this affects me, which is limited to personal disappointment with the situation, and then my thoughts turned to who will lose financially from this decision. Amongst others, there are forum owners who could possibly take a hit. But that's their business, not mine.

Oh well…. Off I go using Imgur hoping it will last a long time…

Let me check it out with a pic of my sparkplug:

John

Quote Originally Posted by Eggbert View Post
    Well Aaron, I’d say you pretty well summed that up, however your comment about “expect something for free” irks me a bit. Why? Because it’s true, and that makes me feel cheap. LOL.
    That's OK John - so am I!

My only-slightly educated opinion is that Imgur is likely to be around for a while because they have some kind of business model that I can't quite work out They got $40mil in VC funding back in 2014 and apparently haven't run out of that, yet, anyway.. at some point I assume they will try to monetize the site and I'd expect that to be in an Instagram/Twitter model (paid-for posts, basically) as the site has a fairly healthy segment of people who go there just to see what 'fresh content' has been posted.

YMMV, this advice is worth precisely what you paid for it, etc etc
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I have been using Imgur since photobucket changed the rules!

Best site I have found and I tried more than a dozen

Works well especially from mobile
    Dax Tojeiro - Mike Huddart 383ci stroker, dark blue with wimbledon white stripes, retro racing decals.

Tra la!

Dax Tojeiro - Mike Huddart 383ci stroker, dark blue with wimbledon white stripes, retro racing decals.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jarrett View Post
    I have been using Imgur since photobucket changed the rules!
    Any alternative for Imgur?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast