Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sun, heat, cobra?

I'm sat here in Spain in 33' heat and mentioned to my wife that next year assuming the winter engine swap goes well it might be nice to drive the cob over, however one point she brought up and I have to agree with is would it be practical in this heat?, at the moment we go out and about in air conditioned comfort in the hire car, would an open top car be too uncomfortable?, I would be interested to hear from people with experience of using a car in this climate, parking and security isn't an issue as we have a garage at the apartment,

Cheers Roger

Yep, too hot much of the time. Here in South West France, when temps are over low 30's we sometimes put the soft top on just to get some shade.

The air temp is also quite over powering at times, but the interest generated is fantastic !!

Too hot for the long drive down, you will fry. You would need to plan the driving outside the hottest parts of the day. I take a convertible to the Riviera twice a year and for significant parts of the day we have to have the roof up and the climate control on or check into a burns unit!

Went to Spain the first year I built my car 14 years ago and had a great time it is hot but it never bothered me whilst on the move although in city driving it is not too pleasant, We actually went down on the ferry Portsmouth to Bilbao and drove home through France. The experience was so good that for the next 4 years our 2 week summer holiday consisted of touring Europe in the Cobra Plus trips to Classic Le Mans every other year. So yes it is hot but unless you intend driving in traffic all the time then no not too hot, we always went on the minor roads as well as they are normally empty and the scenery is so great.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

having lived in s.w france for the last 10 years my advise is take the aircon car. July and August are not conducive for soft tops or no tops. Even when driving you just get to exposed to the rays and end up like a beetroot or a wilted letuce. Unfortunately the heat takes away the joy of driving with the top down. It's ok for an hour but any more it's a pain.

Why not go later in the year when its cooler?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    Why not go later in the year when its cooler?
    That's what we're doing. We're going to Spain in September via the Portsmouth - Santander ferry and then driving back through France.

Paul

Did a road trip ( in older MGB's + MGC) with some friends last year in June - Calais to Faro Portugal - fantastic ! Whilst on the road, soft tops down, have to watch out for sunburn and heatstroke as not so obvious when travelling.
    Had previously done the Le-Mans classic "The long way up" from Santander to Le-mans and home via Calais in Caterham-7's
    Return trip was via the Bilbao ferry as its more a time thing - three days to drive down - only one day return on the ferry. Would suggest in a Cobra the ferry is probably cheaper when taking into account fuel costs of a V8 ?
    In both cases the road trip was excellent and despite some very hot days the journey is ok - just make sure to wear light clothing but suggest to have something to cover up if getting sunburnt, lots of factor 30, lots of drinking water, wear hats, only drive for as long as its enjoyable, stop if its becoming work - in other words sensible planning for the trip and yourselves.
    Chris Lutman -427SC Coupe / MG Tojeiro "LOY" replica

Thanks for all the replies, the general consensus seems to be it's too hot in high summer, something that we had come to realise, also I think I would need to do the skinny top first so perhaps not next year and probably in May or September, it's still something I would like to do but I'll add it to the bucket list!

We have just travelled to ECM (6 Cobras) and the temp for the first 4 days hovered around 33 to 35 degs. This was very uncomfortable and the heat was too much for my wife and others at times. Even when you are motoring along at reasonable speed, there was no fresh air. We did a combination of back roads and motorways. The big issue is if you get stuck in a traffic jam! You are stuck!!
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast