Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiyda Ltd

Spiyda Ltd

Some of you may know of Spiyda - makers of interesting and useful electronic automotive gadgets. I bought a dual fan controller a couple of years ago to regain proper contol of my radiator fans. Having recently wired it up, I managed to bugger it by oveloading the relay (top tip - add an inrush current limiting thermistor for a soft start and to avoid the initial current peak at turn on). I contacted Chris at Spiyda one evening, and had a nice long reply with a few technical hints later the same night. I followed up the next evening to confirm that I'd knackered it and got a reply again within an hour or so with advice on how to specify the inrush thermistors I ought to fit, and an offer to send me a replacement relay FOC. This duly arrived two days later, and after a bit of fun desoldering the old one (since it's a dual changeover relay, there are ten pins to get out) and fitting the new one, it's all working again.

It's a long time since I've experienced customer service this good. Generally we are quick to post negative feedback on poor service, so I thought I'd balance it out a bit with a positive story.

I'm not afilliated with Spiyda in any way other than being a customer, but on the basis of my experience, Chris deserves to do well.
    4.6RV8 Sumo on MSD (finally!)

Sounds like a good response but I can't help thinking an inrush thermistor should have been fitted by Spiyda in the first place?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    Sounds like a good response but I can't help thinking an inrush thermistor should have been fitted by Spiyda in the first place?
    Having spent a while working out what I needed, I can see that fitting them to the controller isn't practical. They have to be matched to the load, both in terms of current draw and resistance, with the current rating the most important - too high and you'll lose 10 or 20% of the voltage available to the fans and so they won't run at peak performance, too low and they'll explode! So they'd be different for different set-ups. The best solution would be if they were fitted by default to the fans, and I believe they are on some of them...
    4.6RV8 Sumo on MSD (finally!)

I recently had some dealings with Chris at Spiyda when I had an issue with my LED rear lights.
    He very kindly sent me the parts to sort the problem.
    Reminds me I need to send back the bits I didn't use.
    Fantastic customer service.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible

I've also dealt with him and would thoroughly recommend him.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Those of you who have bought the LED L542 rear lights, how are you getting on with them and are you happy with them?

Paul

Mine look awesome in the box..

Ah .. not what you meant?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Those of you who have bought the LED L542 rear lights, how are you getting on with them and are you happy with them?

Paul
    I used them and love them.
    I put my car through IVA with them (having slightly added a larger radius to the lenses)
    IVA tester thought they were excellent.

The issue I had was the low resistance triggering the relay (so added a couple of resistors) thanks Chris.
    Kev Davies
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD

Delighted to hear the positive feedback.

We went through quite a few prototypes before we reached the current version and swapping the indicator to the top half made a big difference to the brightness and clarity of the yellow LEDs. What did you do about reflectors Kev given that the original reflectors have been compromised by putting the tail lights behind them?

Paul

As per the instructions I filled the original ones with resin so they are gone.
    IVA I have a rear bumper fitted with a pair of reflectors, Fog light and reverse light on board.
    Also had to radius the lenses a bit to get IVA standard, easily achieved with fine sand paper and re-polished with a mop and McGuire's.
    Kev Davies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast