Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Tyre rating & size

The time has come to change tyres, the Bild tyre survey listed on another post was very helpful, I think I'll be going for the Continental premium contact 6 which performed well. Preferably I'd like something with white lettering on the side but getting these with a decent performance is tricky I'm not going down the Avon route as I'm not convinced they are the best tyres, they are costly, and they start off with relatively shallow tread depth.

The question I have is what speed rating ? V and above or W and above ? (It's a 4.6 Rv8 ).

The other Question is slightly different: The speedo under-reads by 5-6%, so if you travel 100 miles on the stanav, the odometer registers 106. This is a pain when following tulip style route maps etc. Would taking the rear profile up from 60 to 65 (or 70) correct the error ? They are 235 60 R15.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

If you increase the rolling diameter then the reading inaccuracy will get even worse. As for a set distance traveled the wheels will of turned less revolutions. If you decrease the diameter this would held but I think the aesthetic look would not be a good look.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

As above if your Speedo is reading lower than actual speed by 5% you'd need to reduce the rolling radius by 5% to increase the axle/gearbox speed by 5%. To get that with just a tyre change would mean coming down from 235/60's to 205/60's. Probably wouldn't look right

Increasing the rolling diameter means for a set distance the wheels will turn less revolutions. This in turn will mean the odometer reads less for that distance, which would appear to be what you want to achieve. You describe the odometer over reading, not under reading. If your odometer reads 106miles now for 100miles travelled, then you want a 5.66% reduction in number of revolutions per distance. Your tyre current nominal diamter is about 623mm, you probably want a diameter about 658mm to correct your odometer reading, so a 67.5% sidewall at 235 section would be desirable... Can you get a 235/65 or 225/70 in the tyre you want? Either would be ok, the latter closer to your desired diameter.
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

Clearly I have confused myself quite successfully. Richard, thanks for your comments, it was the sort of thing I was looking for, I'll go away and work out which way I mean to do it.

Any thought anyone on which rating to go for ?

Dave, why not just adjust your speedo??

David,

It'll take a very small reduction in tyre profile to reduce the rolling circumference by 5%. I think you'll struggle to get the right combination of tyre width and profile to get the circumference bob on. If you normally pump your tyres up quite hard then reducing by a couple of psi may give you somewhere nearer to what you desire.

I know of some Cobra owners using tyres as low as S-rated. Personally I'd feel happier with V's at least.

Have you looked into North Hants tyres any further? They do a V-rated 235/60R15 with white lettering. I'm tempted by them for my next pair but I don't want the white lettering on my tyres. Hopefully it's only on one side and the tyres aren't directional.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

Hi,
    I think it is easier to re - set the speedo. Use the tyres which you want - do the calcs and reset the speedo dip switches.

sceptic

V or W, either should be acceptable. V = 149mph, which is about where the theoretical redline on my car is, so the minimum I should use. I have a 4.6 RV8, lt77 gearbox (0.87 5th gear IIRC) and 3.45 ratio diff and very similar tyres to you, so I'd guess something similar to your car.
    Cheers, Richard
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6

Quote Originally Posted by scepticwoody View Post
    Hi,
    I think it is easier to re - set the speedo. Use the tyres which you want - do the calcs and reset the speedo dip switches.

sceptic
    There aren't any dip switches, and last time I sent it off it was away for months !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast