Storing hood in boot

Hi
    Is there enough space to store the AK soft top in the boot?
    I'm planning on fitting a 4ltr fire suppression system on boot shelf in between roll hoops, and also want to fit false sides to hide battery. Just wondering if hood will still fit.
    Cheers
    Pete
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

I have the hood and hood bows, side screens and tonneau cover in the flat base of the boot. The shelf has a large extinguisher, and although the boot sides are not blanked off these stored items don't go into that side space. Also in there are two folding chairs, big dust mop, oil 5 litre, water, big bottle, umbrellas, heavy duty wateproof coat, hi viz jacket, umpteen cloths and polish etc. And for outings, camping stove, big cool bag etc and space for coats and the like. The side spaces you want to blank off are v useful for bits and bobs. The larger golf brolly is in the passenger footwell - too big for the boot. I have carpet offcuts and heavy duty plastic interleaved between the hood, cover etc to try and keep them nice.

Just be careful and neat how you fold the hood and tonneau. Oh, and if you have a battery isolator switch on the boot floor near the battery - fit a shield so that stuff moving doesn't switch off the battery while you are travelling.

Nuf Said

Thanks for the info. Seems I'll have no issue fitting the hood in.
    Cheers
    Pete

And a partridge in a pear tree!!

Quote Originally Posted by nuf_said View Post
    I have the hood and hood bows, side screens and tonneau cover in the flat base of the boot. The shelf has a large extinguisher, and although the boot sides are not blanked off these stored items don't go into that side space. Also in there are two folding chairs, big dust mop, oil 5 litre, water, big bottle, umbrellas, heavy duty wateproof coat, hi viz jacket, umpteen cloths and polish etc. And for outings, camping stove, big cool bag etc and space for coats and the like. The side spaces you want to blank off are v useful for bits and bobs. The larger golf brolly is in the passenger footwell - too big for the boot. I have carpet offcuts and heavy duty plastic interleaved between the hood, cover etc to try and keep them nice.

Just be careful and neat how you fold the hood and tonneau. Oh, and if you have a battery isolator switch on the boot floor near the battery - fit a shield so that stuff moving doesn't switch off the battery while you are travelling.

Nuf Said
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by peterj1974 View Post
    Seems I'll have no issue fitting the hood in.
    I'd agree with that.
    Robin
    AK427

All good news for transporting it then - but being a Grinch - to remember putting a hood away wet or damp in such a confined space and forgetting about it - you will end up with a damaged or marked hood
    Always best to get it home and unpack it and allow to dry - even if you leave the hood installed when it gets wet and allow it to dry stretched over the hood frame, its best to allow it to dry off the hoodframe, or remove the tension as over time it can stretch and lose efficiency.
    Chris Lutman -427SC Coupe / MG Tojeiro "LOY" replica

To be honest I've always found that over time the hoods shrink not stretch.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Mine always shrinks after getting wet and if you take it off before it fully dries you will have a hell of a job putting it back on! Just what you do not want when you need to put the hood up quick. Ensure it fully dries on the car.
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Put your hood in your garage and leave it there.
    For the number of times you will actually put it on the car it's not worth carrying around all the time.
    Hoods are also a bit gay
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

Living in Wales, as I do, I'm going to build a skinny hood as per Malcolm's or Alan's.
    It doesn't seem to have stopped raining for more than a day since my car has been on the road.
    I agree with Neil about the full hood though.
    Used mine about 3 times in 9 years on my original build.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring