Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hydraulic Throw out bearing

Ok now decided to fit a HTB but don't know which to choose any advice welcome. Fitting to Chevy 350 with BW T5

Do you know what diameter the sleeve around the input shaft is? The one which the existing one slides on. This is a good starting point, no point in decoding on a bearing only to find you can't for it.
    I was hoping to use aa AP one but it was just too small
    The other thing you need to know is what type of bearing face you need, flat or radiused and what diameter.

I've measured the retainer sleeve and its 34.8mm diameter and it's a flat faced bearing. I would prefer to use one where you use the existing retainer rather than the kit form type if poss. Any idea's where best place is to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumbers View Post
    I've measured the retainer sleeve and its 34.8mm diameter and it's a flat faced bearing. I would prefer to use one where you use the existing retainer rather than the kit form type if poss. Any idea's where best place is to get one.
    I'm assuming by "Retainer Sleeve" you're talking about the plain diameter sleeve surrounding the g'box input shaft which the bearing slides on?
    That's slightly larger than mine but the Tilton one I used is 35.5 ID (1.4") so would fit over yours also.
    I had just under 40mm between the front of the gearbox and the postilion required for the rear of the bearing so I made up a block which slid over the sleeve, sat against the gearbox front face and had a mounting diameter for the stepped ring on the rear of the bearing (It's nipped onto the sleeve with a couple of grub screws but these are only really for assembly as it can't go anywhere). In this way the bearing sits concentric with the shaft but doesn't actually touch it. Doing it this way means I kept the gearbox standard just in case I decided to go back to the standard bearing type.
    My bearing is also flat faced. I can get you dimensions and photo's if these will be of use.

I've added a couple of photo's to an album hopefully here:-
    http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/sho...g-2308/cat/703

Thanks for the info and pics, very helpful. I need to pull the assembly back apart and measure the distance I have got from the rear to the clutch fingers, this will help to decide what bearing to go with. At the moment I seem to have a lot of space at the back of the standard bearing with clutch arm so I will probably need some sort of spacer like yours. What box and engine set up do you have and where did you get the HT bearing from. Regards John.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumbers View Post
    Thanks for the info and pics, very helpful. I need to pull the assembly back apart and measure the distance I have got from the rear to the clutch fingers, this will help to decide what bearing to go with. At the moment I seem to have a lot of space at the back of the standard bearing with clutch arm so I will probably need some sort of spacer like yours. What box and engine set up do you have and where did you get the HT bearing from. Regards John.
    Hi John, My setup is an R380 mated to Rover V8 with standard 2wd bellhousing (similar to SD1).
    My advice is measure, measure and measure again just to make sure! I took measurements of the clutch from the bellhousing-engine interface and also mounted the bellhousing without gearbox and measured to the clutch so that I could cross reference the dimensions. Probably overkill, it is the dimensions from the bellhousing-gearbox interface which are important.

I also drew it all out full size to better visualise it.

I was contemplating fitting a new clutch but the friction plate was only about 0.1mm below new so decided not to bother. I found it a bit difficult to find information for the minimum plate thickness but eventually worked a roundabout figure for it. I made up some spacers for this thickness, and bolted up the pressure plate with these in place of the friction plate this gave me the maximum finger extension (Minimum bearing-gearbox distance) which is what I worked with to get my spacer dimensions.

The R380 box is quite helpful as the input shaft retainer (which holds the thrust bearing mount sleeve) is a nicely machined flat face with 4 bolt heads protruding. This gives a good platform to mount the spacer to and the protruding bolt heads prevent it from rotating. Much better than the cast item on teh LT77 which I replaced. Don't know what the T5 is like.

Obviously I could have removed the thrust bearing sleeve from the input shaft retainer assembly and had a greater choice of CRB but I wanted to keep as many parts standard as I could.

Isn't there already conversion kits available for the T5? Certainly I think more people have fitted CRBs to this box than the R380. I thought RPI did one. Not suggesting you buy this kit but it may give you some indication of what bearing to use. There's some good photos on their web page may give you something to think about http://v8wizard.com/Tremec_T5.php.

Don't have details of where I got mine from at the moment, I'll dig them out when I'm at home.

John,

I changed from an LT77 to a BW T5 (from a Ford Cosworth) behind a 3.9 Rover V8. I decided to keep the clutch fork & slave cylinder that were used with the LT77 as I had heard of problems with some concentric set ups.

I have attached some of the drawings I made when I was planning the change but would urge you to check and double check everything before you commit.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Regards,
    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    John,

I changed from an LT77 to a BW T5 (from a Ford Cosworth) behind a 3.9 Rover V8. I decided to keep the clutch fork & slave cylinder that were used with the LT77 as I had heard of problems with some concentric set ups.

I have attached some of the drawings I made when I was planning the change but would urge you to check and double check everything before you commit.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Regards,
    Ian
    Similar to what I did but mine are pencil and paper so harder to reproduce on computer.

I may steal yours and add my dimensions!

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    . . . . I may steal yours and add my dimensions!

Hi,

If you PM me your email address I can delete the measurements and email them to you so you can enter the details of your set up.

Regards,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast