East Anglian Newsletter and meet info - August 2017

Here's August's newsletter - http://www.ukcobraclub.co.uk/forum/i...4.0;attach=239

Follow the link to the photos, or read the text here -

Hi to you all,
    Apologies for the late appearance of this newsletter, for various reasons. We couldn’t get to Jimmy’s Farm for July’s meet so our roving reporter, Guy Beston, has provided an account.

Sunday at Jimmy’s farm, just outside Ipswich, was a very relaxed affair - in fact so relaxed everybody stayed in bed!
    Well that’s not quite true - Andy Edmonds and partner Julie and myself complete with appropriate car turned up and turned out to be the only Cobra in the carpark. Andy said he saw another cobra and I certainly heard a big engine going around the carpark but they did not stay so we had the place to ourselves along with lots of families.
    The farm has changed quite a bit since I last visited about 6 years ago. Restaurant, zoo, Butterfly house, Shops, Gardens – all these have appeared since then to make it a very family oriented place.
    We did not eat in the restaurant as it was fully booked instead we ate at outside “Burger Bar” with all the food being produced on the farm or very close by-The “Pulled Pork Roll” is to be recommended.
    Andy tells me that progress on his car is happening – he’s got the body on (here insert picture that Andy hopefully should have sent you) but has got a problem with his radiator which is too small to cool a V8 engine! Andy bought it from a local supplier who when asked “Will it cool a V 8 engine?” said “Yes” well no it does not so back to the drawing board. But anyway, progress is happening.
    So after an hour of general chat we decided that we were not going to be joined by anybody else so we headed for home, in my case that was about a 10 minute drive.
    Two additions to the car to be reported, one is a new battery. I finally had to replace the battery that took the car through the SVA (prior to the IVA) 15 years ago. Not bad I thought.
    Second is a new pair of rear wheel arch covers.
    See you next time - Guy

Sadly, this month’s newsletter also carries news of the untimely death of Cefin Mobbs. Cefin was a long-time supporter of our region and regular meet attendee, along with his self-built GD and his wife, Ann. He was also press ganged into being newsletter editor / regional rep for many years and was to be seen every September in his best bib and tucker on the A S Motorsport stand at the Goodwood Revival. Cefin was one of our regular band of Le Mans 24 Hours campers for 10 years or so. His first trip there was in 2001 with Steve in the Dax – the year that it rained continually! A baptism of water. Away from the world of cobras and cars, Cefin was an avid cyclist, he often used to ‘just cycle 50 miles’ before coming along to the monthly meets. His dry humour and willingness to ‘muck in’ will be sorely missed.
    There will be a Service of Thanksgiving to be held on Wednesday, August 23th, at St Mary's Church, Stratford St Mary at 2.30 p.m., preceded by the Committal at Colchester Crematorium at 1.15 p.m. It would be a fitting tribute if those able to attend could give him a send-off by a collective of cobras.
    https://www.familynotices24.co.uk/ed...fin-john-mobbs

Now to this month’s meet on Sunday 20th August @ 12:00 in the West Norfolk area. We’ve been there before, but how about -
    The King’s Head, The Street, North Lopham, Norfolk, IP22 2NE
    http://www.lophamkingshead.co.uk/ and 01379 688007.
    Don’t forget to phone and book if you intend to dine please.

We’ll continue to populate the ‘3rd Sunday’ calendar with interesting pubs to visit in our usual ‘On Tour’ format.
    If you have a recommendation or favourite venue, please let us know.
    September 2017 - East Norfolk
    October 2017 - West Suffolk
    November 2017 - East Suffolk
    December 2017 – Christmas meal
    January 2018 - West Norfolk

etc.

A potential date for our September meet - the 'East Anglian Practical Classic & Sports car show', held at the Oaksmere Hotel, Brome, Eye, on 17th September - http://www.theoaksmere.com/events/

We’re always on the lookout for pub recommendations and event info for 2017 – if you have a recommendation or favourite venue, please let us know. We have received some for East Suffolk, still on the lookout for other areas.

Steve & Eileen Brown Home - 01206 863804 Email – thebirches@hotmail.com
    Photographs - © Steve Brown / Guy Beston
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

We'll be at this months meet at The King's Head, booked a table for lunch. Hopefully in the Cobra, but between the brake rebuild problems and newly spotted radiator leak, we'll have to see...
    --
    Richard
    GD Mk3 LS6