Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine bay cladding (foot boxes, bulkhead)

Just wondering if anyone knows of a third party supplier of metal cladding for the foot boxes & firewall? I am reasonably sure Dave (Brookes) used to supply at least the firewall one, but I'm guessing he's out of that business now that DB has taken off..

Primarily a firewall one that I'm after as I have the 'big block' modified footboxes anyway, so the cladding for those wouldn't fit without chunks being cut out.

Which might all mean I need to 'roll my own'...
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Hi Aaron, can't help with a supplier but if you go diy and haven't seen it, the 'Metal Fabricators Handbook' could be really helpful, by Ron & Sue Fournier. What I've read of the book so far, I think it's a quality publication by an awesome fabricator. Best with your build.

Hi Aaron,
    My stainless cladding came from DB.
    It's worth asking Dave as I don't think he's completely stopped Daxing.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17

String - I'll keep an eye out for a copy of that It is a skill I'd love to learn - I keep an eye on the work of a couple of people in the US who build beautiful replica vehicles panel by panel.. I'm not sure I have the patience for that kind of thing, mind!

Kev - I'll drop him a line
    My DeDion build diary..

Just buy a sheet of alloy or stainess (there are dif grades of alu some softer than others ) did mine in a brushed stainless and was really easy , just make templates from card first

David describes the basic idea though the book is crammed with much advice on fabrication. If I were building another car I'd definitely diy the cladding to save a chunk of cash, as David recommends above.

Quote Originally Posted by david hemmings View Post
    Just buy a sheet of alloy or stainess (there are dif grades of alu some softer than others ) did mine in a brushed stainless and was really easy , just make templates from card first
    That'll be the way to go, it seems, as Dave doesn't have any left anyway Now to find a reasonably priced sheet of alu wide enough for the bulkhead, and lots of pieces of card!
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    That'll be the way to go, it seems, as Dave doesn't have any left anyway Now to find a reasonably priced sheet of alu wide enough for the bulkhead, and lots of pieces of card!
    https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/prod...luminium-sheet

I've used these guys a lot recently. Pretty good as you can buy an 8 x 4 sheet and get them to cut all the shapes at least to the right rectangular size for free. Saves quite a bit of work. All turns up very fast and well packed.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Ah, thanks Lloyd! I'd been scanning eBay (I think they might have a store there, actually) but not been to their website - the prices look very good (vs eBay), too.
    My DeDion build diary..

Hi Aaron I bought a complete set for my DAX from DB last year I'm guessing from the posts I got lucky if Dave at DB has stopped making them? I still haven't fitted mine so if any use to you I can do a template in paper, let me know.
    Where are you?
    Cheers Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast