Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inboard discs

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Hey Paul, would be really interested to see the list of parts you are getting together to achieve this, read a few threads but I can't see the good detail in how it's done.

Will the outboard calipers still allow for 15" wheels??

Thanks Lee
    Lee

I am led to believe it is a pretty straight forward. I have the late XJS hubs which are supposedly a straight swap for the existing ones. I am also installing an electric handbrake at the same time, so it is just a case of making up new brake lines and getting the handbrake cables made up and sussing a way to mount the actuator.

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Take loads of pics and let me know when you're done, I will give you a ring so you can talk me through it, I would probably leave the hand brake and hand brake calipers in place but not sure yet until I understand the whole process, cheers Lee

At Paul's current speed on getting jobs done I estimate he'll start on this brake change in summer 2021

Hi Lee

Do you know if the hub bearings are the same size as the older type?

Cheers
    Stu

Crendon no. 51, 390 FE with too many build options and toploader gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    At Paul's current speed on getting jobs done I estimate he'll start on this brake change in summer 2021
    Who are you again?
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
    Who are you again?
    I'm your daddy!!

I did write up a ST article re my swop to outboards on my Dax, if memory serves there's a spacer and reduction in length required. But do they work!!! Just back from Goodwood and the brakes are fantastic, even if the driver wasnt!

Cheers Clive
    On On

Pivot shaft is smaller diameter so needed to make up some (4) bushes, simple plain bushes, easy enough to make up or get made.
    I kept the inner disks in place for the handbrake , brake pads removed from calipers so all they do is act as a brake go hold the handbrake calipers, although I could fit a hydraulic handbrake as well if I wanted. I don't.
    I also made up brakets to hold radial mount Wilwood calipers and used the enter disks (305mm dia)

I was looking into this a couple of years ago and managed to get the old hubs and discs from an X300 jag. It was a complete axle. It already had a set of spacers between the diff output flange and the drive shaft which were about 10mm thick. The bolt pattern is still the same as the older XJ diff output flange so does just bolt up. SNG Barrets do the spacer in varying sizes so could order a thinner one and build up with shims if need be. I cant comment on overall length as I didn't go this route in the end but still have the bits. They are easy to get hold of from a decent scrap yard.

The lower pivot arms are smaller in diameter but as GDCobra says you can get some top hat type bushes made up, some plastic UHMW (i think) bearings which are adequate.

In the end I managed to get a late model XJS axle with PL diff, outboard brakes and the handbrake pivots to hold the cable. I'm not sure how good the handbrake will be as they are effectively drum brakes for the handbrake - I had the same on my 3 series BMW and whilst they worked, they weren't fantastic. The parts from late model XJS and the X300 look to be interchangeable....although the x300 has vented discs.

If its any help, I found a forum specifically about IRS which was a great help and lots of ideas on what to do. The link is here: http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=162

Cheers,

Justin
    Last edited by justinb; 28-08-17 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justinb View Post
    I was looking into this a couple of years ago and managed to get the old hubs and discs from an X300 jag. It was a complete axle. It already had a set of spacers between the diff output flange and the drive shaft which were about 10mm thick. The bolt pattern is still the same as the older XJ diff output flange so does just bolt up. SNG Barrets do the spacer in varying sizes so could order a thinner one and build up with shims if need be. I cant comment on overall length as I didn't go this route in the end but still have the bits. They are easy to get hold of from a decent scrap yard.

The lower pivot arms are smaller in diameter but as GDCobra says you can get some top hat type bushes made up, some plastic UHMW (i think) bearings which are adequate.

In the end I managed to get a late model XJS axle with PL diff, outboard brakes and the handbrake pivots to hold the cable. I'm not sure how good the handbrake will be as they are effectively drum brakes for the handbrake - I had the same on my 3 series BMW and whilst they worked, they weren't fantastic. The parts from late model XJS and the X300 look to be interchangeable....although the x300 has vented discs.

If its any help, I found a forum specifically about IRS which was a great help and lots of ideas on what to do. The link is here: http://irsforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=162

Cheers,

Justin
    Justin,

I have the facelift XJS hubs, which I am lead to believe are a straight swap with the existing hubs with no mods needed, just some spacers to make up for the removal off the inboard discs. I haven't checked this yet, but will do. I know SNG do the spacers but they are very expensive, I have found some for under £15 that will do the job when I have confirmed the hubs fit.

Good link btw

cheers

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast