Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trouble starting when hot.

Hi
    My Cobra starts fine from cold, although if it's not been driven for a while, and having a mechanical fuel pump, it may need four or five turns to suck the fuel through before it fires.
    The issue is when it's hot. If I stop briefly at a garage (as you need to on regular occasions!) And then try to start it, the engine really labours to turn over for the initial three or four times, almost like the battery is flat. Its a relatively new battery, but could it be something as simple as the battery not being powerful enough or something more complicated?

Martin

GD427 Mk4. Chassis No J0258

Ford 347ci Stroker - AFR 185 heads - Holley 670 - KB Pistons - Lunati "Voodoo" 272/280 Cam - 451 bhp/441 lbft.

Martin, that sounds like a classic case of overheated starter / solenoid.
    Is this a new problem or has just started? (excuse the pun).
    Assuming you have a starter with an on board solenoid? It may be going tight through heat from the exhaust.
    This is common on Chevy's and often cured by fitting a remote starter solenoid.
    Or by fitting a small high torque starter motor.
    Last edited by kdavies3; 24-08-17 at 10:12 AM.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17

Heat temporarily weakens the permanent magnets in the starter motor which induces more current draw and poorer cranking.

Also check your battery cable and connections. If the cable gets too hot the resistance increases as does the volt drop along the cable.

This can lead to poor cranking. A bad connection can have the same effect.

Hi Kev
    The engine has only been fitted and running a year or so with not much mileage (house move etc etc) so only just noticed the issue as I start yo drive it more. It is a small high torque starter but quite near the headers. I do have a heat shield wrapped round it. Could I fit a remote solenoid utilizing the same starter motor?

Martin

Hi Martin,

A remote solenoid might resolve your problem ,plus a number of other possible issues with grounding and cable size to battery being the main issues with slow heat cranking .

With G.M starters you need to check the shim gaps as things heat up .

This video shows how a jumper is used to install a remote solenoid 1.54mins in the video .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDTi1DJyvk

Hi Martin, I think Jon, has answered your question above.
    As it happens I've been having a sort out in the garage recently, and I found a couple of new remote solenoids.
    Let me know if you want one.
    £10 inc. postage.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Hi Martin, I think Jon, has answered your question above.
    As it happens I've been having a sort out in the garage recently, and I found a couple of new remote solenoids.
    Let me know if you want one.
    £10 inc. postage.
    Hi Keith

I assume the solenoids will fit any starter? If so I will have one from you please. Perhaps I should just check my starter compatibility first?

Martin

Ford 347ci Stroker - AFR 185 heads - Holley 670 - KB Pistons - Lunati "Voodoo" 272/280 Cam - 451 bhp/441 lbft.

Name!!!!!

Sorry Kev...............just been talking to a Keith!!! Its my age you know!!

Martin

I had this problem in mine. (rover V I was told check all kinds of things including fuel evaporation between firewall and carbs, distributor getting too hot, HT leads too close to the rockers and overheating.

Ended up being an inferior fuel pump. £50 for a bigger one and a couple of hours fitting and its never had that problem since.
    I always let the fuel pump tick for a few seconds before starting.

Had exactly the same , had fitted a hi torque mini starter , from memory was a 1.5 or 2hp unit tried all sorts to no avail then bought a 3hp one and starts perfect all the time now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast