Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Removing oil residue

I need to remove all the bolts holding the inlet manifold to the head on my sbc,( one at a time) in order to apply some 577 Loctite thread sealer, as advised by Loctite Technical department ,to stop oil working its way up the bolts from the “lifter valley” . Before applying the Loctite, I need to thoroughly clean out any oil residue in the threaded holes, and to save me buying brake cleaner, as advised to use by Loctite Technical , I wondered if carb cleaner would to the job, as I have a full can of the stuff sitting on the shelf.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"

get some brake cleaner the carb cleaner will leave a residue where as the brake cleaner will not

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Also, don't undo the bolts one by one undo them all in the correct "pattern" and ensure you do them up again in the correct "pattern". Google should show you which pattern to use for your manifold.

I soaked mine in white spirit overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Also, don't undo the bolts one by one undo them all in the correct "pattern" and ensure you do them up again in the correct "pattern". Google should show you which pattern to use for your manifold.
    Good point Tone, I hadn’t considered the danger of stressing the manifold, and possibly cracking it , by taking out one bolt at a time. I was worried if I undid all the bolts at once, it would break the seal between the manifold and head, and cause air /oil leaks afterwards and then end up having to replace the gasket, which I didn’t want to do. If I undid all the bolts at once in the correct pattern as you advise , cleaned and replaced all the loctited bolts, would the old gasket still seal effectively afterwards ? I don’t intend removing the carb or inlet manifold.

Does coolant flow through the inlet manifold?
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing"

There maybe water in the manifold, if it was me I'd drain a bit by undoing the bottom radiator hose, then undo the bolts, but do them up again very slightly to keep a seal, in the correct order. Then clean them one at a time, doing them up slightly. Then once ask since torque up in correct sequence send refill the radiator.
    Actually, scratch that, if I was to clean the threaded holes I'd take the manifold off completely so I could get at the holes easily and replace the manifold gaskets.

I also need to do this job but would like to remove the paint from my Edelbrock manifold so removing is the best option. Presumably this means the distributor needs to come out so what's the best way to get it back in the same position?
    Dek

A paint mark on both the dizzy flange and the manifold normally but as you're removing the paint I'd suggest a making a mark on both with a sharp chisel or a centre punch.
    Also make sure you mark the position of your rotor arm inside the cap too.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17

i'm pretty certain that you don't need to remove the dizzy to remove the intake manifold (assuming i can remember correctly after having done this about 5-6 time in the past few months - lol)

Make sure you have some good RTV sealant to seal the ends around the china walls when putting the manifold back on - don't use hylomar blue

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) SRV8 with 383ci stroker chevy.

If pulling your distributor why not (as well as marking) just set your timing again?

If you dont have a timing gun. Then get one. Its a vital peice of garage equipment that costs practicaly nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast