Ram petrol tank advice

Hi gents. Looking for some advice or opinions about relocating the petrol tank.

I am thinking about removing the tank from the shelf above the diff, and installing a 64 litre (17 gal) tank in the trunk where the spare wheel resides. The dimensions would be 30 x 17 x 7 inch. I was thinking I could use the existing anchor points to secure the tank by making new mounting straps. The tank would lay flat on the floor and after some upholstery would still leave room for some storage as well as freeing up the area above the diff.

This leads me to my only concern which is if the trunk floor is strong enough to carry this weight. Is the bonded subframe rigid and strong enough to cope with this? Will it put extra stress on the body due to this weight? The spare wheel will obviously go, so this will account for some weight offset, but with a full tank of fuel will the weight be excessive?

I was hoping some of you knowledgeable gents may have some advise or opinion to offer. Not sure if this has been done before, and a search did not turn up anything with regards to a Ram.
    I would welcome any thoughts on this, as well as any advice on how to strengthen this area to negate any issues, or any reason to leave it as is.

Cheers Chris.

On a Dax and other cars the 70L tank is hung under the boot / trunk floor.
    Straps bolted through the floor but with spreader plates to spread the weight.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

The boot floor on a RAM is supported by a pair of the tubular structures (the silver tube) shown in this picture. They triangulate between the lower bit of the boot surround/bumper mounting subframe and the bottom of the diff mount structure. Plenty strong enough to carry the flat tank you propose I'd think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you have a big v8 you won't have a full tank for very long 😅😅

Quote Originally Posted by russell_ram2 View Post
    The boot floor on a RAM is supported by a pair of the tubular structures (the silver tube) shown in this picture. They triangulate between the lower bit of the boot surround/bumper mounting subframe and the bottom of the diff mount structure. Plenty strong enough to carry the flat tank you propose I'd think.
    Thanks for that. I was hopping this to be the case. Do you think I need to add any strength to the boot floor in the way of some steel running between the sub frame, to give some more strength to the
    boot floor?

Hi Steve. LOL. That's how it is with these cars. Empty tanks and empty pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pills View Post
    Thanks for that. I was hopping this to be the case. Do you think I need to add any strength to the boot floor in the way of some steel running between the sub frame, to give some more strength to the
    boot floor?
    I doubt whether that is necessary since the load from the tank is spread evenly across pretty much the whole floor which, in turn, is supported around its periphery.

With a big flat tank like that you will need a decent sump (you probably know this); you could make use of the recess intended for the spare wheel.
    Last edited by mylesdw; 03-09-17 at 08:37 PM.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Thanks for the reply. I like your idea about using the wheel well.
    Cheers Chris.

Perhaps you can help me Chris.

OOPS!

Just noticed where you are.
    !!!!

Roger
    Last edited by minesamalt; 06-09-17 at 06:02 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by minesamalt View Post
    Perhaps you can help me Chris.

OOPS!

Just noticed where you are.
    !!!!

Roger
    Hi Roger. Yeah I think the P&H might be a bit excessive.