Exporting a Cob to Spain

Hi All

My cob remains unfinished / unregistered at the moment but I've now got some time available and I'm planning a burst of activity to finish it.
    However, my wife and I are planning on moving to Spain permanently. I'd like to take the cob with me and having read the various threads on the forum I can see this brings with it a paperwork nightmare if it can even be done now.
    I don't want to leave the car in the UK as that brings with it the prospect that my son will end up driving it! But I don't want to sell it either. So, I'm a bit stuck as to how to proceed.

Does anyone know if you can import and re-register a Dax Cob in Spain?
    How long can you drive a UK registered cob for in Spain before having to take it back to the UK? And how soon can you return to Spain with it?
    Can you get insurance cover for Spain for this period of time?

So many questions!
    Any help from those in the know much appreciated.

Kindest
    Regards
    Richard

Dax - Standard Chassis, a boot full of parts, Chevy 383 Stroker and Tremec TKO 600. Time for paint!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gibbs View Post
    Hi All

My cob remains unfinished / unregistered at the moment but I've now got some time available and I'm planning a burst of activity to finish it.
    However, my wife and I are planning on moving to Spain permanently. I'd like to take the cob with me and having read the various threads on the forum I can see this brings with it a paperwork nightmare if it can even be done now.
    I don't want to leave the car in the UK as that brings with it the prospect that my son will end up driving it! But I don't want to sell it either. So, I'm a bit stuck as to how to proceed.

Does anyone know if you can import and re-register a Dax Cob in Spain?
    How long can you drive a UK registered cob for in Spain before having to take it back to the UK? And how soon can you return to Spain with it?
    Can you get insurance cover for Spain for this period of time?

So many questions!
    Any help from those in the know much appreciated.

Kindest
    Hi,
    I know that Richard Mason who used to be on here tried to get his Dax registered when he moved to Spain a couple of years ago but he ended up selling it here as he could not find a way of making it work, you could try dropping him a pm to see what he tried (hopefully he'll pick it up) hope you get a better result, good luck.

Thanks for that. I just PM'd him.

The other option my wife and I are considering is moving to Italy rather than Spain. I guess it will be just as difficult to re-register their too. The Italians do like a bit of red tape.
    Regards
    Richard

Dax - Standard Chassis, a boot full of parts, Chevy 383 Stroker and Tremec TKO 600. Time for paint!

Hi Richard,

in the wintermonth we use to be in spain. Thats the reason why i had the same question before.
    You can drive a car in spain with a foreign registration only 6 month a year.
    If its a used car with a clean european/UK registration you can register your cobra in spain after you became permanent resident.
    It is very important that you have a complete set of veryfied data about your car.
    It is also very helpful to get a age related registration in england first, that show the first reg date of the donor car ! ( First reg in UK )
    Joerg

Many thanks Joerg.

The plan is to move at the end of next year. So if I manage to get the cob registered in the UK in the summer of 2018 I'll be able to take the car to Spain at the end of the year. I'll be applying for residency in 2019 when I'll also be moving my consultancy business there.

Can I ask, what verified data is needed? Is that, registration document, valid insurance, residency permit? What else would I need?
    Regards
    Richard

Hi Richard,

its better to use PM
    Regards
    Joerg

not sure if any of this will apply still Richard - worth a read??

http://www.michaelbriant.com/car_import.htm

rgds and good luck
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Many thanks Joerg and Gary

You've both given me great info to get me started.
    As I said at the beginning, this is something for the back end of next year. So a while away yet.

Cheers
    Regards
    Richard