What is the optimal fuel to use?

Hi guys,

I have a 351 cleveland engine on my cobra, from what i know is stock apart from a 675 holley carb and edelbrock intake.
    So far i've been using 95 octane fuel, is this the optimal choice or 98 octane is better and why?

Thanks.

when I spoke to my engine builder about an issue of my engine popping and trying to run on after switching off, he said it's a symptom of using a lower octane fuel.

If you are not currently pinking then stay with 95, you will be able to add more timing (= more power) if you use 98 AND get it retuned for the higher octane fuel - otherwise it's just a waste of money

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    T56 Gearbox
    3.54 LSD Diff
    AP Vented front brakes
    Outboard X308 Vented rear brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    If you are not currently pinking then stay with 95, you will be able to add more timing (= more power) if you use 98 AND get it retuned for the higher octane fuel - otherwise it's just a waste of money

Jim

Thanks jim

I am happy running on 95 oct for last 20 years. When I took it on the rolling road 3 years ago they did anti-pinking and there were no issues on standard fuel . They even advanced the timing from standard ( what it was originally set ) and I got another 20 bhp and 20 lbs torque . I am running a 268 cam, 600cfm 1850 holley so mild road tune 2v heads with electronic distributor. Removal of points was my best upgraded . It takes a headache away of setting up.

If you store the car over winter the octane value goes down so if after a winter break the octane will be lower the 95 . I have no problems starting after 3-4 months just add some fuel on the first run out .