Thread: Eratic dials

Eratic dials

I'm after some help, the dials in my car were fine the other week. Now that I've zip ties all the cables up my dials have started going eratic. The car starts fine the voltage gague starts to rise for some unknown reason. The oil pressure guage gioes right up. and the starts to bob around slightly. The water temperaturte dial however acts very eratricrising anf falling about 10 degrees either side od the rading. and this happens all the way from 0 to 120. this onbly happens as the engine is running. Once you swith the engine of and then turn the ignition back on all the guages sweep (As it's the smiths flight guages) and then settle at where they should and sit there nice and stady no fluctuation.
    I know that a blown head gasket can couse some problems but I have no smoke coming out of the exuast I dont have oil and water mix on my dipstick and I have tested the water with one of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-3-COMBU...25.m3641.l6368
    And after 6 mins there was no cange in the colour.

cheers
    Ant

First thing I would do if it's all you have changed is remove all the zip ties and see if it still does it . If not then put more ties on but not as tight, In my old job with copiers we had a strange problem and all it turned out to be was cable ties done up too tight.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Have you wired them through a voltage regulator? It's not needed on some gauges and can cause the needle to swing constantly. Ask me how I know......
    Bill

Crendon Chassis No:13

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol head View Post
    Have you wired them through a voltage regulator? It's not needed on some gauges and can cause the needle to swing constantly. Ask me how I know......
    The flight range are digital so don't need a voltage regulator.

Thanks tinka I was thinking of giving that a go