Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cobra + Spitfire at Duxford

I bought my wife a flight in Duxford's 2-seater Spitfire (because I'm nice) which was last Saturday and good heavens what a great day. She was the first flight of the day so we had to arrive at 8.30 for her briefing - well before Duxford opens to the public so I already had formed half a plan to get some good photos before the great unwashed arrived. I'm a fully paid up member of the "If you don't ask, you don't get" school of thought so I went straight to the first Imperial War Museum person I could see and asked if I could bring my car round for a couple of pictures. The bloke looked a little unsure but I said don't worry I'll get my car out of the way before 10am (opening time) so he said yes. I didn't need telling twice so sprinted back to the car. Luckily because we had arrived early they had told us to go in the staff entrance and we had parked near the restoration hangers so it was a simple matter of bumping over the grass to get round the bollards and I was in!

The bloke who gave me rather tentative permission was still hanging around and his day was made when I brought the car over, he said you didn't have to ask with a car like that! It still amazes me what effect these cars have on people, I always joke "its not even a real one!" and loads of places are happy for you to do whatever you like.

It occurred to me that the opportunity for amazing photos was a little wasted as I just had my phone camera, and I have no real interest or ability in proper photography but I was quite pleased with the results. They just said don't go further than the red barrier as that's the actual runway so I basically spent an hour or so driving all around the accessible bits of the museum taking pictures next to everything and anything. I'm annoyed when I was parked on the grass I should have had the car facing the other way as the pictures look a bit better, and the viewpoint is a bit too high.

The pilots came out for a look and a chat, they were really interested and joked I must be used to being the loudest thing around but on that day I was definitely in second place to the Spitfire. Also I think the first time I've parked up next to something with more litres and more cylinders.

Some old duffers were having an early private tour at about 9.30 and they all looked a little confused as to whether I was part of the show or not when I rumbled up, wheelspun on the wet grass and took photos from every conceivable angle.

My wife's flight was absolutely amazing by all accounts. We had the full WWII fighter pilot experience of waiting nervously for FOUR HOURS for the weather to clear before Mrs could go and teach Jerry a lesson . They will do aerobatics if you ask them to so she did a barrel roll, victory roll and a loop, then they did a very low and fast fly by of the control tower. The 2-seater is dual control so she also got to fly it for a bit too. Hilariously when she landed there was a group of what looked like 60yr old women who had come with their husbands (the duffers from earlier on the private tour) and they gave her a polite round of applause when she got out . I was mingling in the rather large crowd when she landed and heard someone remark "It's just rich old fat blokes who do this sort of thing" then someone else couldn't help themselves and said "look! It's a young woman!!" I struggled bravely not to laugh but had to walk away quickly.

If any of you have even the slightest inkling of doing this then for heavens sake go and do it immediately.

Drive your Cobra, hop in a Spitfire for a quick roar around the skies, land to applause then blast home in time for tea and medals. I sometimes wonder if there's been a mix up and I'm living someone elses life

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hifihedgehog; 05-09-17 at 07:19 PM.

Hi Dave, nice pics, just showed her indoors, she flew a 2 seater Spit 27 years ago, and she tells me proudly she did a couple of barrel rolls.
    Out of interest how much is it these days? She paid about £500 back then for 20 minutes.

Regards
    Geoff

It's £2700 for 30 mins chock to chock so probably just short of 25 mins in the air so your mrs got a bargain! 500 quid in 1990 is about £1000 now (according to BoE historical inflation calculator)

She had a pilots licence then, so didn't need the briefing, might have made it a bit cheaper.

This is something that is on my bucket list along with the Mig flight in russia. Have wanted to do it for years but have always had other priorities. One day it will happen. Great pics and what an awesome day out.
    ANTHONY
    Absolute Horsepower Ltd
    Home of the CR427

That's interesting about the pilots license, while we were there a "regular" turned up (in another plane, I think it was a Piper something or other) for a lesson in the Spitfire, chatting to the Classic Wings people they can help you work towards being certified to fly a Spitfire solo.

Ant - YOU CAN PAY TO FLY A MIG?!! What! Why have I not heard of this before! That tops my friend visiting Cambodia where you can go somewhere in the middle of nowhere to fire loads of guns, throw grenades and fire rocket launchers

ha ha yes

look at www.migflug.com

not cheap but a mig 29 to the edge of space!!!! Just don't have a curry the night before.

Having passed my fast jet aptitude tests and then binning off a career in the RAF for personal reasons this mig flight is the closest thing I can think of to living out my maverick style top gun dreams. The trouble is the older I get the more I see fear and my faculties could fail me. Having passed my ppl for helicopters flying is one thing but an R22 does not quite scratch the itch of letting loose in these iconic machines.

Cut off age is 40 so a few years left yet. Mind you, you would have to be a special kind of person to go into the non tourist parts of Russia, enter a cold war military base and then strap yourself into the relic of a mig and do mach 2 towards the edge of space. look at some of the videos on you tube, not many do it without passing out.
    ANTHONY
    Absolute Horsepower Ltd
    Home of the CR427

I may be wrong but isn't there is a place in South Africa where they will take you up in Migs and also has Lightenings which is still one of the quickest "ballistic" fighters ?
    Chris Lutman -427SC Coupe / MG Tojeiro "LOY" replica

Here is mine with a Buccaneer and a Hunter. Something about fast planes and fast cars !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Takes a lot of beating having photo's of Cobras and Planes!
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast