custom steering shaft connection advice from engineering/IVA perspective

Hiya

I've made a custom steering shaft for my corsa c EPAS column. It is basically a 19mm shaft cut to length, then machined to 18.5mm on the end to insert into the corsa's UJ. All works lovely but I need advice on the best way to secure it both from an engineering perspective and also IVA. Picture attached!!20170928_142018.jpg

I could...

1. Drill through and hammer in a 6-8mm spring dowel pin ---- don't think this is sufficient!
    2. Weld the shaft to the flange of the UJ (it is steel shaft but alloy flange)
    3. easiest option--- drill an 8mm hole through and fit a high tensile bolt. This will leave 10.5mm of shaft --- is this OK?
    4. Fit the bolt AND weld it!
    5. Anything I haven't thought of...

Thanks in advance
    Current status - GD mk4, absolutely everything custom made just to be different - you will either love it or hate it!!!

Welding is the favourite option but you obviously can't weld steel to Aluminium.
    Or am I confused?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

If it ain't welded you'll need to find a way if completely removing the play between the two pieces when it rotates too.

What about knurling the rod and creating a clamp in the sleeve? Similar to the splines on the UJ?

You definitely cannot weld steel to aluminium alloy.
    All the steering column shafts that I have seen have splines, both on the shaft and on the UJ. The UJ's are split and then clamped to the shaft. Often the clamp bolt fits into a groove in the shaft as a back up to prevent the shaft and UJ parting company.
    I am not convinced an IVA inspector would be happy with anything else. I wouldn't.

sceptic

It's not aluminium!

Drill 8-10mm hole where you have indicated "bolt". Weld around the shaft, plug weld the holes to the shaft - obviously get a pro to do it if you are not confident (I wasn't and it was a £20 piece of mind job)

Rgds

Jim

You beat me to it Jim! I have a couple of Corsa B intermediate UJ shafts in front of me, and they're definitely steel throughout - so I doubt that the Corsa C ones are aluminium.
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - now sold
    2003 E85 Z4 3.0i - the new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    You beat me to it Jim! I have a couple of Corsa B intermediate UJ shafts in front of me, and they're definitely steel throughout - so I doubt that the Corsa C ones are aluminium.
    Mine's a C and very definitely steel

How was Snowdon? I went up there at the end of August in the new Toy (Motorhome) and the roads looked ripe for a good blast!

Regards

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

The Snowdonia trip was great mate. Unfortunately my clutch slave cylinder developed a major fluid leak the day before, so we shared Rob's Sumo for the blasts. Great roads, and the Evo triangle was so good we went round it twice!

No comparison with the Alps though, so we're really looking forward to ECM 2018 in Switzerland next June. There are still some places left - see you there perhaps? .....

Apologies to the OP for the temprorary thread hijack.
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - now sold
    2003 E85 Z4 3.0i - the new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    It's not aluminium!

Drill 8-10mm hole where you have indicated "bolt". Weld around the shaft, plug weld the holes to the shaft - obviously get a pro to do it if you are not confident (I wasn't and it was a £20 piece of mind job)

Rgds

Jim
    Thanks guys

This is definately winning never thought of plug weld --- that will keep the full strength of the shaft! Yes it isn't aluminium - too heavy! but it isn't mild steel either -- its alloy somewhere in the middle... weight & colourwise.
    Current status - GD mk4, absolutely everything custom made just to be different - you will either love it or hate it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scepticwoody View Post
    You definitely cannot weld steel to aluminium alloy.
    All the steering column shafts that I have seen have splines, both on the shaft and on the UJ. The UJ's are split and then clamped to the shaft. Often the clamp bolt fits into a groove in the shaft as a back up to prevent the shaft and UJ parting company.
    I am not convinced an IVA inspector would be happy with anything else. I wouldn't.

sceptic
    Thanks woody, This was my first though but the splines on the corsa are not available on the market except for their lower shaft --- which would only take me 6" or so to a 4th UJ which is no good. You should try watching American Hotrod and see some of the shit they get up to... give me the confidence to do the whole car custom!!!! so there will be no other cobra looks like mine ;') It has been a challenge though... I think I've actually built 5 cobras because of it lol