Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build Sequence

Build Sequence

I am about to receive some birthday dosh.
    I was just wondering what the next big purchase should be after I’ve put the body on.
    I was going to spend it on the instruments but I’m thinking I don’t actually need these yet
    and it may be better spent elsewhere.

Locks lights and catches maybe or even the windscreen.
    I was just wondering what jobs people tackle first after the body is on.

Cheers

Mike.

I agree, locks latches and screen next.
    The interior can wait until last.
    have you already prepped all the body gaps holes for the lights etc.?
    Hopefully all the underneath stuff like fuel and brake lines are done prior to body fit?
    Last edited by kdavies3; 19-10-17 at 09:07 AM.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Get all the wireing done and finish off the engine bay, then instruments for the dash but you will need the screen fitting before you fit the dash.

I’m can buy locks and latches as I go but as far as a big purchase i’m Guessing it’s a toss up between the windscreen and a wiring harness.

Wiring harness first but when you get the locks S&J do a set which means one key fits all the locks instead of 2 or 3 different keys.

Fitting the screen made it look more like a car when I was building mine and was a big motivator to push on with the build, and fitting the lights gives it some eyes and a friendly face and started to build the personality of the car for me (I'm strange like that) but the wiring harness will "unlock" loads more important jobs

Dave A

I know what you mean about the windscreen. I think putting the body on will make it feel like I’m just starting out....

Get your handbrake working next properly now, then definitely, fully fitted harness (including all the gearbox and speedo connections) well before the screen.

Completing the speedo connection may necessitate buying at least the speedo but keep it well away from the garage until you are ready to cut the dash to shape (something else that is better done before the screen).

I know it's hard, but try not to be in too much of a rush to bolt the shiny bits on. The fewer jobs left once they're fitted the less chance you have to scratch or break them.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

I'd consider the screen fit next; it can always be removed again and stored in safe keeping 'til later if you so desire. The reason; using the two central threaded holes that receive the bracket for the centre screen support, you can centreline the front half of the car (using the middle of the rad aperture for the other end of your centreline string). It's great to get this sorted early on and then it can be used for positioning a range of items later. Plenty of other options, see above, but I wished I'd centre-lined in this way on my build!

It's a good idea to look into the lead time for the instruments. You may not be ready for them now, but you might have a long wait when you order them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast