Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
    Thanks fella's

Its come out pretty well so I am quite please with it.

I need to finish off the rocker covers but need the wife to be out of the house for a few hours for that one

I picked up my modified propshaft today from Bailey Morris. I chatted with their man Paul Knox at one of this years shows and kept his details. I got in touch with him a couple of weeks ago and he has done me a really good deal and a decent turnaround, so top marks from me and happy to recommend him/them.

I have been out tonight, but before I went out I could not resist removing all the masking from the inlet manifold. Another picture because why not!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB74 View Post
    Nice build thread...

With tight clearances, I’d also suggest swapping those engine mount bobbins for the later and more robust later Range Rover sandwich type (3 metal discs with rubber in between) they made a massive difference in stopping engine movement on mine.
    I decided to follow your suggestion.

I knocked off my fabricated mounts and started again from scratch using the Range Rover bobbins. The first one took a while to make, the second one was a breeze. So they are all done and tacked onto the chassis now.

Tonight I pulled the engine and box back out which will release a load of jobs.
    As soon as they were out I split them apart.

Once separated it allowed me to have a look at the back of the engine.The flywheel looks in good condition. The pressure plate looks like an exchange refurbished or maybe new, and from what I can see of the clutch plate it looks new

The inside of the bell housing is also nice and clean
    Last edited by KugaWestie; 03-12-18 at 09:11 PM.

Tonight I cleaned up the gearbox and primed it

I then unloaded the remainder of the rattle can I used for the inlet manifold on the gearbox. The bellhousing is going to be a different colour

I also whipped the clutch pressure plate off. I already knew that the clutch had bonded to the flywheel, so i free'd that off and cleaned up the flywheel

As I suspected, the clutch is brand new

I then put it back together

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB74 View Post
    I have one of the hawk shortened selectors in the garage.. never got round to selling it. Pm if your interested.
    Alex - I dropped you a pm a couple of weeks ago, have you seen it?

I took the bellhousing off the gearbox and bolted it back onto the rear of the engine.

As the engine has already been through a total strip down and rebuild, I did not see the need to do this again.

Normally when I paint an engine I strip the heads away from the block, strip everything off the block and the heads, mask up and spray. Replacing all gaskets, inspecting/replacing components etc whilst going through the process.

As said above, I don't want to strip it down totally, so I decided to take a different approach and strip off the starter motor, alternator, clutch slave etc, leave the spark plugs in, mask off all the manifold ports etc. Then basically just spray everything!!!

Hopefully it comes out alright

So, all primed up

2 Coats of VHT silver paint and two coats of VHT Clear over the top on the engine today

Once this had gone touch dry, I took the bellhousing off and fitted it back onto the gearbox and then applied two coats of VHT clear over it.

I finished the day off with an hours worth of cleaning ready for some more painting

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast