Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast
    The worse thing you can do to rv8 is get it to hot causes all sorts of probs, mainly slipped liners unless top hated block. With a 16 psi rad cap 50/50 antifreeze coolant it won't boil till above 115- 120 c .on the other end of the scale you can also overcool it , rv8 do tend to create a bit of moisture internally and if running to cool you won't burn this off.. the only reason I use a 74 c stat for the summer is because of traffic
    65- 75 c running temp seems a bit low for road use

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    I have decided on my fuel pump position so I welded a bracket onto the chassis to take the fuel pump clamping bracket. No photo though.
    My favourite part of this build is how easy you make all this stuff sound .. written this way it sounds like the process went something like this (small screen play coming; I'll take writers credits if they make the film )

CAMERA PANS TO GARAGE DOORWAY
    Kuga walks into garage, looks at chassis for 38 seconds. Expression of epiphany.
    Wheels welding cart to location, grinds off paint, cuts bracket from suitable steel and welds on.
    Re-paints section of chassis.

END SCENE. SCENE TIME: 2m 38s.

Meanwhile, in my garage, it would go more like this:

Aaron stares at chassis. Time spent staring: Three weeks.
    Analysis paralysis has set in.
    Many positions are checked. All of them seem terrible to Aaron.
    Aaron gives up and attaches fuel pump in "least terrible" seeming location.

Three weeks later:
    Aaron realises fuel pump is now in the way of something and must move it.

My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    My favourite part of this build is how easy you make all this stuff sound .. written this way it sounds like the process went something like this (small screen play coming; I'll take writers credits if they make the film )

CAMERA PANS TO GARAGE DOORWAY
    Kuga walks into garage, looks at chassis for 38 seconds. Expression of epiphany.
    Wheels welding cart to location, grinds off paint, cuts bracket from suitable steel and welds on.
    Re-paints section of chassis.

END SCENE. SCENE TIME: 2m 38s.

Meanwhile, in my garage, it would go more like this:

Aaron stares at chassis. Time spent staring: Three weeks.
    Analysis paralysis has set in.
    Many positions are checked. All of them seem terrible to Aaron.
    Aaron gives up and attaches fuel pump in "least terrible" seeming location.

Three weeks later:
    Aaron realises fuel pump is now in the way of something and must move it.

Ha ha Aaron, that made me chuckle.

I did ponder the position over a couple of visits in the garage whilst finally deciding. After that it was a piece of cake. Time will tell if it is in the way though

I fitted the fuel pump clamp to its mounting bracket tonight and then popped the pump in temporarily

The fuel tank that came with my kit had been pre-drilled halfway up the side of it for the gauge sender. Not ideal in my eyes and a potential failure point.

I have decided that I will use a VDO dip tube sender for the gauge meaning this hole needed sealing over. So I took it to my friendly tig welder who does the odd job for me now and then.

A nice job and a much better set up going forward.

I cleaned up the vacuum port connector on the inlet manifold

Then I had a look in my bag of spare tubes/offcuts leftover from the Westfield, and threw out a bit of blue silicone tubing. I fitted this from the inlet manifold to the brake master cylinder. This is just temporary for now to test the brake system when the engine is running. I need to find something more suitable eventually.

I decided on my coil position and fitted it

Gauges/instruments and senders were ordered today from ETB.

The gauges are made to order and take a few weeks, not that I need them yet but I took advantage of a discount deal.
    What I really wanted was the senders so I can fit them while there is plenty of room around. I should have these for the weekend

My senders arrived a couple of days ago, so this afternoon I decided to have a look at them. I thought it would be best to tackle the hardest one first, which was the fuel tank dip tube sender. This was a patience testing fiddly affair and I am glad it is under the belt.

I picked my spot and drilled a pilot hole followed by a start with the hole cutter. I then smeared some oil around and cut the hole in the top of the tank

The next hour or so involved a far amount of tutting and sighing (I managed to control the swearing well ) and I forgot to take photos of the stages I went through but it is done and fitted. I also marked up the longest screw on the clamp kit in case I forget in future which one it is. I finished this job off by washing the swarf out of the tank/

The water temperature sender was next, fitted into the inlet manifold

This was followed by removing the Rover sensors from the oil filter housing/pump and fitting a new pressure/low pressure sensor and an oil temp sensor.

Nice work but are you going to fit a heat shield between the pump and discs? They produce a lot of heat under spirited driving!!

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Nice work but are you going to fit a heat shield between the pump and discs? They produce a lot of heat under spirited driving!!
    I wasn't planning on it

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast