Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Steering column route complete. Needs dismantling for a clean and tidy and then paint

Looks good Gary! Like the bushed column support with grease nipple. Where did that come from?

Dek
    Last edited by Dek; 14-03-19 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks Dek

The pillow block bearing came from here
    https://www.bearingsrus.co.uk/np17-rhp

Hopefully you have enough clearance to allow for engine rock on accels?
    On my Contemporary I had to put a ding in one of the header tubes just give enough clearance for the lower shaft.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Hopefully you have enough clearance to allow for engine rock on accels?
    On my Contemporary I had to put a ding in one of the header tubes just give enough clearance for the lower shaft.
    Hopefully!
    I guess there is only one way to find out on that one. I have used the Range Rover engine mounts as they are supposed to be much better at reducing engine rock than the SD1 equivalents.

Looks great, however, the grease nipple plastic dust cover... do you not think that may be a fire hazard, right next to the mainfolds?
    C an
    O nly
    B e
    R eal
    A drenalin
    Sumo, 4.2 RV8..... Edelbrock

Quote Originally Posted by Stu J View Post
    Looks great, however, the grease nipple plastic dust cover... do you not think that may be a fire hazard, right next to the mainfolds?
    Thanks. I may well cut the plastic cover off!

Exhaust manifolds/headers cleaned and sprayed with Rustoleum stove paint which is supposed to be good for 650c, so it will be interesting to see how they fare!

A little job for today (I wish!) was to fit the exhaust manifolds. What appeared to be a straight forward job of running 16 bolts into the heads took me just over two hours! The manifolds were slightly distorted, I had to file a weld away in an awkward spot that was fouling a bolt head, and the two central lower bolts as well as the two rear bolts on each bank were painfully slow to run in, only a quarter of a turn at a time was possible and that included a spanner flip to achieve each 1/4 turn.

If ever they have to come off once that body is on I think a fair amount of swearing will be involved

Passenger side

Drivers side

They can be very tricky to get at what with all the pipework etc getting in the way. You might find it easier if you use Coarse 12 Point Spline Bell Flange Head Bolts. (Bit of cut & paste there).

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Hopefully!
    I guess there is only one way to find out on that one. I have used the Range Rover engine mounts as they are supposed to be much better at reducing engine rock than the SD1 equivalents.
    I would recommend controlling engine rock by use of an engine steady or torque bar. Rover P6’s used to have a nice plate that bolted to the front of a head and a rod that went to the inner wing.
    Jaguars did it at the bellhousing.

Without this, part of your engine movement will be controlled by your exhaust system which in the case of side pipes can cause the mounting brackets to break off. You will also be able to reduce your chassis to pipe clearance for an underfloor system with the engine movement properly controlled.

The tricky part is finding chassis frame to use for the job. Pilgrims had the top rail around the engine that lent itself nicely to the job. I have taken a rod from the head down to the ladder frame on a Dax before.

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast