Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoar View Post
    I would recommend controlling engine rock by use of an engine steady or torque bar. Rover P6’s used to have a nice plate that bolted to the front of a head and a rod that went to the inner wing.
    Jaguars did it at the bellhousing.

Without this, part of your engine movement will be controlled by your exhaust system which in the case of side pipes can cause the mounting brackets to break off. You will also be able to reduce your chassis to pipe clearance for an underfloor system with the engine movement properly controlled.

The tricky part is finding chassis frame to use for the job. Pilgrims had the top rail around the engine that lent itself nicely to the job. I have taken a rod from the head down to the ladder frame on a Dax before.

A
    Thanks - I will bear that idea in mind

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    only a quarter of a turn at a time was possible and that included a spanner flip to achieve each 1/4 turn
    Ah yes, that's how I got the upper mounting bolts for the radiator in on mine .. much swearing and I was doing it blind by reaching in through the front opening, over the top of the radiator and round to the other side, with a stubby spanner.. fun times!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Have you thought about altering the bodyshell inner footwell.

A bit extra work but it would allow access to those rear bolts and gaskets

I have decided to laminate in a sloping face similar to the steering column slope which would help me with those wee manifold exhaust gaskets

In another project I had a hole cut with a cover to get the bottom rear manifold bolt in.

What clearance do you have with the Footwell and exhausts manifolds ?

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    Have you thought about altering the bodyshell inner footwell.

A bit extra work but it would allow access to those rear bolts and gaskets

I have decided to laminate in a sloping face similar to the steering column slope which would help me with those wee manifold exhaust gaskets

In another project I had a hole cut with a cover to get the bottom rear manifold bolt in.

What clearance do you have with the Footwell and exhausts manifolds ?

drammyboy

No I havent, and dont intend to. I can get at the bolts if I need to, just don't want to have to do it again!

I am trying to build the car, not dismantle it

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556