Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    You have very thick radiator
    I bet that's what you say to all the boys!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    You have very thick radiator . Is it specially made ?
    Yep, it is 70mm thick 3 core

I went and got my bodywork from my mates place this morning. He has been looking after it for me since November 2017!

I gave all the loose panels a wash off

The main body is now suspended above the chassis in the garage

I have some fibreglass materials on order which are due to arrive early next week, then I can start tackling it

I can see why you didn't want the bodywork until now!

That body must be fairly light compared to the Dax shell - it was a struggle to rig mine up to the garage ceiling with an array of pulleys to increase the torque!

Your Ranger, Kuga? I still miss mine.. there's a 48hr test-drive offer at the minute and I'm very tempted to book one to see what the new 2.0 EcoBlue engine is like compared to the old 3.2.
    My DeDion build diary..

Been waiting for this part of the build. Let the games commence, and good
    luck with this next phase Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    That body must be fairly light compared to the Dax shell - it was a struggle to rig mine up to the garage ceiling with an array of pulleys to increase the torque!

Your Ranger, Kuga? I still miss mine.. there's a 48hr test-drive offer at the minute and I'm very tempted to book one to see what the new 2.0 EcoBlue engine is like compared to the old 3.2.
    Yes the body is not really that heavy, just awkward.

I like the Ranger, mine is a 3.2 Auto, thirsty as hell. I have put a superchips bluefin on it which makes it a bit more lively

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    Been waiting for this part of the build. Let the games commence, and good
    luck with this next phase Gary.
    Thanks.

This part of the build I am not looking forward to!!

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    I like the Ranger, mine is a 3.2 Auto, thirsty as hell. I have put a superchips bluefin on it which makes it a bit more lively
    Mine was a manual 3.2 - loved it to bits, for all of its impracticalities! Would have another one in a heartbeat given the finances.

Good luck mating the bodyshell!
    My DeDion build diary..

A visit from my good friend and fellow car builder tonight for a couple of hours means some progress has been made with the body.

I quickly established last Sunday that the radiator needed to be repositioned, so after a run through of what I had looked at with my mate the rad and fan were removed and put aside to be revisited later.

After lots of discussion, measuring, adjusting, looking, standing back etc etc, some decisions were made. The first one was to ignore the basic fitting instructions in the “build manual” and go it alone.

After a couple of hours work this is where it got to

The main problem was around the rear wheel arches, particularly the area above the wheel where the body curves towards the boot both above and behind the wheel position.

A rather spooky moment after around 90 mins of tweaking happened when we both went for a tape measure at the same time as we had both spotted the problem.

The arch on the drivers side is approx 35mm wider/more bulging than the passenger side, making it impossible to get the body sitting nicely over the rear wheels. If you look at the above photo carefully you can see it.

This body is going to take a lot, and I mean a lot of work to make it look half decent.

But the progress achieved tonight is that the body is positioned and clamped in place from the rear of the car up to the sill behind the front wheels.

The next step is to leave it to settle for a couple of days and then glass the boot floor/bulkhead panel to the rear of the body and then fix the boot panel to the chassis.
    Last edited by KugaWestie; 14-05-19 at 09:01 PM.