Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
    Before starting to glass the body together I decided to see if I could get the radiator to fit.

The first job was to make up a dummy

Once I slotted it in behind the nose it showed up the problems, exposed in the bottom corners and generally too low

I thought for a day or so about how to overcome this and came up with a plan to modify the radiator. So I tackled the dummy I had made by lopping off three of the corners and I managed to get it in.

Here is the modified dummy. I will get the rad modified next week and also get some mounts sorted at the same time for the fan.

Originally I had the fan mounted behind the rad, but in order to make it all fit it will now have to go in front of the rad.

With peace of mind that I could get the rad to fit I decided to start glassing the boot to the body

I have started with just a few 2" wide strips to get things held in position

Not so much Cardboard Aided Design as Hardboard Aided Design. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnymathew View Post
    Not so much Cardboard Aided Design as Hardboard Aided Design. I like it.
    Thanks

The Rad is away now for modification.

THE PINK DUST HAS STARTED!

I decided to have a play with my DA polisher and some 180 grit pads around the front wing and nose area mould lines.

As you can see some holes have appeared along the line of the mould joints that need attention. What would the GRP experts recommend for filling these?
    P38?
    Flowcoat?
    Something Else?
    Last edited by KugaWestie; 22-05-19 at 08:04 PM.

I have done a bit more glassing in the boot area and have also fixed the interior boot lining panel to the chassis, so the rear end is starting to firm up a little now.

I decided to tackle the bulkhead behind the seats. I got it into position and marked it up from trimming. I guess the bottom edge would have sat on the lower chassis rail, but cast your minds back and you may recall I modified the chassis in this area to increase legroom, so I was expecting to trim this panel due to that.

Once I had it trimmed to a fit I was happy with, I slotted it up behind the main body downstand and used some drywall screws to hold it in position

I then decided to unload a tube of Tiger Seal on the joints to bond them as much as I could

To finish this panel off it will need to be glassed along the top joint. The sides and bottom and section around the tunnel will also be glassed to the chassis
    Last edited by KugaWestie; 22-05-19 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

I finished the session off by trimming the edges of the boot aperture to remove the rough edges and mould lines

The next job is to make up some panels to join the bottom boot lip on the main bodywork to the chassis (black flat plate you can see) and then down to the boot floor to make it watertight

Last edited by KugaWestie; 22-05-19 at 08:08 PM.

Love the set belt, especially how you made sure you get the handle on your side to get out first in an accident!!! clever thinking....
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    THE PINK DUST HAS STARTED!

I decided to have a play with my DA polisher and some 180 grit pads around the front wing and nose area mould lines.

As you can see some holes have appeared along the line of the mould joint that need attention. What would the GRP experts recommend for filling these?
    P38?
    Flowcoat?
    Something Else?
    If they are deep use chopped glass paste, don't faff and nonce about, get in with a scriber or something pointy and get the holes clear, also any that look soft or there might be a hole under the gel or air bubble in the grp, then open them up, get them out now and CGP them.
    Any small ones 1-2 mm dia just use a good quality filler, and looking at the body I think there will be a good amount of this going on. Also not sure how much GRP bodywork you may have done in the past but don't try and fill just the holes, you will be looking at spreading a layer of filler along the complete seam and at least 3-6" down into each side of the wings from the seam to try and get a nice shape just to start.

Again, don't dick about with anything finer than 80 grit on a long blade when you first hit that filler, you want to shape it not polish it.
    So just do that over the seams on the complete body.
    That's just the starter, good luck.

Ciao
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    If they are deep use chopped glass paste, don't faff and nonce about, get in with a scriber or something pointy and get the holes clear, also any that look soft or there might be a hole under the gel or air bubble in the grp, then open them up, get them out now and CGP them.
    Any small ones 1-2 mm dia just use a good quality filler, and looking at the body I think there will be a good amount of this going on. Also not sure how much GRP bodywork you may have done in the past but don't try and fill just the holes, you will be looking at spreading a layer of filler along the complete seam and at least 3-6" down into each side of the wings from the seam to try and get a nice shape just to start.

Again, don't dick about with anything finer than 80 grit on a long blade when you first hit that filler, you want to shape it not polish it.
    So just do that over the seams on the complete body.
    That's just the starter, good luck.

Ciao
    David
    Thanks, that’s useful information. I haven’t done much grp work before so this is going to be a journey!
    So far it looks to be air bubbles in the gel coat along the joint lines

Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast