Page 75 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Thanks Aaron.

I have taken a punt on a set of old MGB roadster hinges that I found on ebay last night for a tenner, so I will see how I get on with them.

Is the general consensus to fit the boot panel first so it sits nice with the body and then look at the rubber seal after?
    Always fit any seals when fitting and aligning panels, doors, even the bonnet. You want to fit and shape as you would see the finished painted car. Even as I have had to do a few times in the past and waste a seal or 2.
    If you have a door card that then seals on to the door aperture seal fit this as well as it will change the alignment slightly.

No point in taking weeks to get the fit right only to fit a seal to see it move the panel in the aperture.

I think I created a post on making your own original style boot hinges, search my started threads, good luck
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    I was looking at this
    https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1286/door-seal

Should be ok? Would I use this around the door apertures as well?
    - pretty much what is used on Sumoes.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    I think I created a post on making your own original style boot hinges, search my started threads, good luck
    Lee
    Which I shamelessly copied
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Those MGB roadster hinges look very solid. I would fix to some glassed in steel bar and taped. Surprising how heavy the boot. Defiantly fit rubber boot seals like the ones from woolies are perfect . They do lots of smaller than 16mm if you think they look to large. They also hold the boot in place plus weather tight.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Those MGB roadster hinges look very solid. I would fix to some glassed in steel bar and taped. Surprising how heavy the boot. Defiantly fit rubber boot seals like the ones from woolies are perfect . They do lots of smaller than 16mm if you think they look to large. They also hold the boot in place plus weather tight.
    Thanks

I need to try and understand where the door seals will fit so I can buy these at the same time from Woolies - anyone got a couple of photos?
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Last edited by jon1d; 11-09-19 at 03:46 PM.

Aaron, shame on you copying my ideas!! I did not think anyone read them!! Haha

Whilst waiting for my rubber trim to arrive, I decided to have a look at the bonnet hinge arrangement. According to the "build manual (shockingly bad)" I just bolt the hinges to the bar that is fixed to the body under the nose at the front of the aperture. Guess what?............................................. no bar there!!!!

So once again time to go it alone.

So I fitted the kidney plates on the underside of the bonnet as a start.

Then I made up a support bar for the hinges

My plan is to make a grp housing for the support bar in the shape of a top hat, and then bond it to the underside of the bodywork sandwiching the bar inside the top hat

More work on the bonnet hinge today. First job was to shape the box section to mimic the curve of the nose.

So I made a cardboard template of the profile and fetched out the sledgehammer.

A few sharp blows and it was done

With the box section now curved to shape the next job was to make a grp housing for it. So I taped up the steel and the worktop and made one in a top hat shape.

Once the fibreglass had gone off I removed the box section, cleaned it up and sprayed it