Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 LastLast
    Hi KugaWestie, if that is your real name? Sorry i'm so late to your party...had a couple more kids there and they've taken up a lot of time!

I've been building a Classic Replicas Viper on a sierra chassis for the last few years and finally got it on the road last week. I'll post up some pics once I've got some nice ones.

I had terrible trouble with the brake servo/pedal arrangement. The pedal was pivoting around the pushrod and deforming the whole footwell. This meant the pedal would go to the floor with crap braking force. In the end I got the pedals and servo out of an early Audi TT. This pedal frame bolts onto the servo directly so there is no movement.

Had to get the local University to modify my front hubs to eliminate bump steer. This may be mainly a problem with the Sierra setup but does point to a fundamental lack of understanding of this principle by the chassis designers at CR...

I had to specify the offset for the rims when I ordered the wheels so you will need to check the ones you have look ok when on. They polished up really well!! I also had to add to the front arches to pass IVA because they changed the standard in this area relative to the wheel.

Do you have the inner arches the front? My body is attached by a full sheet that closes off the engine bay, i'll take a photo. The rear ones are "detachable" and close off the front of the inner space (this might not work with Jag chassis?).

One last thing for now, Classic Replicas use Monkey Metal (ref Iain) so the hinges are all bendy. I welded the 2 parts of the door hinge together and then got them copied in 5mm stainless. They stay at the set height now!!

You are doing fantastic work! looks like you really know what you are doing so keep it up, you'll be finished this one in no time!!
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.
    I'm sure if I give it enough love it will, someday, love me back!?

Quote Originally Posted by Deck View Post
    Hi KugaWestie, if that is your real name? Sorry i'm so late to your party...had a couple more kids there and they've taken up a lot of time!

I've been building a Classic Replicas Viper on a sierra chassis for the last few years and finally got it on the road last week. I'll post up some pics once I've got some nice ones.

I had terrible trouble with the brake servo/pedal arrangement. The pedal was pivoting around the pushrod and deforming the whole footwell. This meant the pedal would go to the floor with crap braking force. In the end I got the pedals and servo out of an early Audi TT. This pedal frame bolts onto the servo directly so there is no movement.

Had to get the local University to modify my front hubs to eliminate bump steer. This may be mainly a problem with the Sierra setup but does point to a fundamental lack of understanding of this principle by the chassis designers at CR...

I had to specify the offset for the rims when I ordered the wheels so you will need to check the ones you have look ok when on. They polished up really well!! I also had to add to the front arches to pass IVA because they changed the standard in this area relative to the wheel.

Do you have the inner arches the front? My body is attached by a full sheet that closes off the engine bay, i'll take a photo. The rear ones are "detachable" and close off the front of the inner space (this might not work with Jag chassis?).

One last thing for now, Classic Replicas use Monkey Metal (ref Iain) so the hinges are all bendy. I welded the 2 parts of the door hinge together and then got them copied in 5mm stainless. They stay at the set height now!!

You are doing fantastic work! looks like you really know what you are doing so keep it up, you'll be finished this one in no time!!
    Thanks, you need to keep an eye on this thread now! My name is Gary.

My rear arch liners are all glassed in. I have the front ones which need doing when I think I am ready.

Any chance of some photos of your door hinges? Do you have the old template you used for them to be copied still?

Have a look at my door hinge thread here http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61817 any comments or help welcome......
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Following some great input on my door hinge thread, I have made some good progress this evening. Special thanks to Deck for his sterling efforts and photos.

https://youtu.be/HVZ53zgQCAE

https://youtu.be/cTpBDffDzGc

I spent a couple of hours tonight working on the drivers door hinge set up. I need to fully weld the hinge back plate joint and then drill and tap a couple more bolt holes into the door through the bars.

The leading edge door gap is not too bad for a starting point

Grrrrreat thread is this Gary - love to see your progress and how you are working out solutions for issues you are coming up against.

Keep the pics coming.

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Grrrrreat thread is this Gary - love to see your progress and how you are working out solutions for issues you are coming up against.

Keep the pics coming.

rgds
    Gary
    Thanks

I like doing a build thread, it makes you step back sometimes and think/analyse, then you wake up the next morning and normally have come up with an idea overnight!
    It is also good to have others already wearing the T Shirt keeping an eye on things

Talking of tee shirts, http://www.badobsessionmotorsport.co...noise-t-shirt/

On my Christmas list already.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

I finished off the drivers door hinge set up this morning. I will definitely be making some new hinges up once both doors are sorted.

I put the car back on the skates and shoved it over in the garage to allow me to take a look at the passenger door.

OH MY GOD!!! I think I might have someone else's door!

I think there is going to have to be some door surgery...........

The door fits ok from the bottom of the leading edge all the way back around the remainder of the aperture. The angle of the front horizontal section of the door is miles away from the angle of the body

You can see it diving down towards the tunnel in this photo

I thought about the door problem last night and took another look this morning.

I think the body had gone out of shape as it is almost 20 years old and I have no idea how it has been stored before I got hold of it.

Therefore surgery has commenced - on the body again rather than the door.

Three slits cut in the body

And then wedged down from the garage roof

Keep the bottom edge of the screen in mind when you are doing this. If the dip is too great you will have daylight under the screen seal. These bodies are already more curvaceous than the rest and the fit can be very poor. You might end up with a constant wind blowing in your face along with the occasional water pouring onto your lap?
    Declan

RV8, Sierra based Viper.
    I'm sure if I give it enough love it will, someday, love me back!?